NATO commitment to Georgia strengthened after invasion: USSeptember 5th, 2008 - 6:32 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 5 (DPA) Russia’s invasion of Georgia has strengthened the need to bring the former Soviet Republic and other countries into the NATO alliance, the White House said Thursday.”The desire to bring these new countries, these new democracies, and these countries that want to live in freedom and help defend each other, is even strengthened by the past month’s activities,” spokeswoman Dana Perino said.
Russia strongly objects to continued NATO expansion and the alliance’s announcement at an April summit that it intends to invite Georgia, and another former Soviet state - Ukraine, to join.
“Our support of Georgia’s entry into NATO started long before any of these hostilities began,” Perino said.
Meanwhile, US Vice President Dick Cheney was in Georgia Thursday, the most senior US visit since hostilities over the breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia began Aug 6.
Cheney met with Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili and assured him of Washington’s commitment to extending the NATO alliance to Georgia.
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- Moscow says arrest of alleged Russian spies in Georgia part of "anti-Russian psychosis" - Nov 05, 2010
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- Georgian opposition to sue TV channel over fake invasion report - Mar 14, 2010
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Georgia boosting military strength: Moscow - Oct 01, 2009
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- Georgia, Azerbaijan to jointly bid for Euro 2020 - Mar 07, 2012
- NATO urges Georgia to improve relations with neighbours - Dec 04, 2009
- US criticizes Medvedev visit to South Ossetia - Jul 15, 2009
- US committed to Georgia's NATO membership: Cheney - Sep 04, 2008
- Georgia, US to sign strategic pact on Jan 4 - Dec 25, 2008
- Georgia tells citizens travelling to Russia 'unsafe' - Jun 11, 2011