National TT: Expected quarterfinal lineup in team eventsJanuary 25th, 2012 - 12:36 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 24 (IANS) The expected teams, including holders Petroleum Sports Promotion Board (PSPB) reached the quarterfinals of the Senior National and Inter-State Table Tennis Championship at the SAI sub-centre here Tuesday.
PSPB along with West Bengal, North Bengal, Maharashtra A, Tamil Nadu and Airport Authority of India (AAI), made it to the last eight in the men’s and women’s category.
Gujarat’s women also qualified for the quarterfinals. The way they went after Delhi shows their determination as well as the dipping form of Delhi, who lost 0-3 with their star player Manika Batra joining the PSPB outfit.
Delhi’s Sanya Sehgal put up a fight against Gujarat’s Frenaz Chipia before losing 10-12, 11-13, 9-11. Nikita Rautela also provided stiff resistance against Nargis Malubhai before going down 18-16, 8-11, 9-11, 11-8, 10-12. Esha Monga put her best foot forward and managed to take game off Sapna Sharma with final scoreline being 11-6, 9-11, 8-11, 11-13
It was not surprising that the Andhra team also went out of reckoning when two of their main players, Karnam Spoorthy and Nikhat Bhanu, preferred their institution AAI over the state. Ironically, Andhra lost 0-3 to AAI.
Though Jharkhand lost to Maharashtra B with a similar margin, they should be credited for stretching two national-ranked players in Pooja Sahastrabudhe and Prajakta Tipale.
In the other matches, PSPB blanked out Chandigarh 3-0, Tamil Nadu accounted for Chattisgarh 3-0, Maharashtra A downed Uttar Pradesh 3-0, North Bengal defeated Madhya Pradesh 3-0 and West Bengal beat Assam 3-0.
In the men’s category, Tamil Nadu struggled to beat Assam 3-2.
- National TT: Maharashtra women stun holders PSPB to enter final - Jan 25, 2012
- Inter-Institutional TT: Manika, Shamini, Mouma lose - Aug 26, 2012
- Petroleum bag three out of four titles in National TT - Jan 05, 2012
- National TT: Maharashtra, PSPB win team titles - Jan 26, 2012
- Inter-institutional TT: Most seeded players in pre-quarters - Aug 26, 2012
- West Bengal, Andhra win junior TT titles - Dec 10, 2011
- PSPB, West Bengal face-off in TT team finals - Jan 19, 2011
- Top seeds enter pre-quarters of National TT - Jan 07, 2012
- National TT: Top seeds advance into second round - Jan 27, 2012
- PSPB beat Delhi to reach table tennis semifinal - Jan 19, 2011
- Rajasthan surprise North Bengal, PSPB men and women romp into last 16 - Jan 18, 2011
- South Zone TT: Sharath, Shamini emerge champions - Sep 09, 2012
- Inter-institutional TT: PSPB retain men's, women's team titles - Aug 24, 2012
- Asian Junior TT: India's U-18 boys lose to China, settle for bronze - Jul 22, 2011
- Asian Junior Table Tennis: Abhishek assures India of a bronze - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: airport authority of india, airport authority of india aai, assam, best foot, bhanu, inter state, maharashtra, manika, north bengal, promotion board, pspb, quarterfinals, ranked players, scoreline, sports promotion, star player, stiff resistance, tamil nadu, tennis championship, west bengal