National Security Act slapped on students for professor’s murderJune 4th, 2009 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Imphal, June 4 (IANS) Five of the 13 students arrested in connection with the killing of a Manipur University professor have been detained under the National Security Act (NSA) while the rest have been freed on bail, police said Thursday.
Suspected militants gunned down Mohammad Islamudin, 56, an economics professor and former dean of students’ welfare of Manipur University May 25 in the campus at Canchipur, about 7 km north of here.
Police earlier arrested 14 people - 13 students of Manipur University and a policeman - on charges of conspiracy to kill the professor.
They produced the detainees in the court of the Imphal additional chief judicial magistrate Wednesday. The police told the court that five of the 14 accused were detained under the NSA by an order of the Imphal West District Magistrate and sought 15 days judicial remand for the others.
The Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL), a major insurgent outfit, had earlier claimed responsibility for the killing of Islamudin.
The Democratic Students’ Alliance of Manipur has threatened to launch a series of agitations, including a 120-hour statewide bandh, against the arrests.
- Manipur to witness series of shutdowns - Jul 15, 2009
- Three militants arrested in Meghalaya - May 24, 2012
- Militant from Manipur outfit arrested in Guwahati - Mar 24, 2012
- Banned Manipuri militant outfit's leader, aide held - Jul 05, 2011
- Manipuri cinematographer arrested for aiding separatists - Jul 02, 2009
- Five militants killed in Manipur shootout - Oct 04, 2009
- Shutdown over professor's killing cripples life in Manipur - May 26, 2009
- Top Manipuri actress arrested for terror links - Jun 30, 2009
- Manipuri militant outfit's chief held in West Bengal - Mar 15, 2010
- Court gives bail to former deputy speaker of Manipur - Jun 07, 2010
- Northeast youth eager to re-join mainstream society - Jul 04, 2010
- Nabbed Manipuri militant planned to set up base in Delhi: Police - Jun 28, 2009
- Shutdown in Manipur over alleged rights violations by security forces - Sep 19, 2009
- Manipur insurgents coming together: government - Aug 09, 2011
- Manipur residents worried over deaths of non-local labourers - Apr 10, 2009