National School of Drama’s annual theatre festival beginsJanuary 8th, 2011 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 8 (IANS) The 13th edition of the Bharat Rang Mahotsav, the annual theatre festival of the National School of Drama, began in the capital Friday evening with a production of Habib Tanvir’s play, “Charan Das Chor”. Directed by Guwahati-based NSD alumni Anup Hazarika, it was staged at the Kamani theatre.
The two-week festival spread across eight venues in the capital will feature 83 plays, both Indian and foreign productions. It will end Jan 22.
The festival Saturday saw the staging of the play “The Park” by Mumbai-based Manav Kaul followed by “Santa Maria de Iquique: Revenge of Ramon Ramon”, “Great Expectations” by Swati Mittal, “Le Barbier de Seville”, “Bitter Belief of Cotrone, the Magician” and “Salaam India” by Lushin Dubey.
The festival this year has a bigger international section with 23 plays from 20 countries. A Latin American panorama has brought plays from countries like Chile, Bolivia and Argentina while the highlight of a package from France was a production of “Le Barbier de Seville” and a photographic exhibition on the mobile French repertory, “The Footsbarn Theatre”.
The Indian component includes a section on veteran theatre personality Shyamanand Jalan and plays by modern masters like Girish Karnad and Dharamveer Bharati.
The festival will play host to several dance theatres, an emerging trend in contemporary theatre.
The festival will open for nine days in Chennai Jan 11.
- National School Of Drama: ‘Charan Das Chor’ Sets The Mood For Annual Theater Festival - Jan 10, 2011
- Delhi gears up for mega winter theatre festival (With Image) - Jan 04, 2011
- Selja assures more funds for theatre (With Image) - Jan 09, 2012
- Shakespeare's play comes to Indian villages - in tents - Nov 06, 2010
- Tagore reinterpreted at NSD's Bharat Rang Mahotsav - Jan 03, 2012
- 13 Asia-Pacific drama schools begin weeklong conclave - Jan 03, 2011
- Spotlight on theatre music at NSD's annual fest - Jan 02, 2010
- NSD, Polish drama academy ink agreement (With Image) - Jan 09, 2012
- Regional theatre sets stage for Games - Sep 09, 2010
- Tom Stoppard in India Jan 23 to talk about adaptations - Jan 09, 2012
- Feast on regional theatre, thanks to Games(Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- New content, support set stage for theatre's resurgence (March 27 is World Theatre Day) - Mar 26, 2011
- Five plays to be staged in aid of Leh victims - Oct 15, 2010
- Americans in for an Indian cultural feast - Nov 14, 2010
- Asia's biggest theatre fest will host 63 plays - Jan 04, 2009
Tags: barbier de seville, bharat, charan, contemporary theatre, dubey, footsbarn theatre, girish karnad, kamani, kaul, latin american, le barbier de seville, manav, maria de iquique, mittal, modern masters, national school of drama, photographic exhibition, santa maria de iquique, swati, tanvir