National Museum to get international conservation expertiseMarch 16th, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 16 (IANS) The International Council of Museums (ICOM), the apex body of museums worldwide, will help India’s prestigious National Museum in its modernisation process by extending expertise in areas like conservation and display, a statement said here Wednesday.
The Indian chapter of ICOM has been asked to co-ordinate with the expert groups under the ICOM to channelize expertise, besides hosting workshops and seminars in the National Museum Institute (NMI) to train
resourcepersons here, the statement said.
“The National Museum is on a modernisation drive and we require expertise. The ICOM has a vast pool of international experts. By linking with the ICOM, we can source required expertise and connect to other global institutions,” V.M. Nair, head of the department of conservation, said.
“The National Museum and the ICOM can jointly work towards capacity building of museum professionals in India. On the International Museum Day May 18, 2011, the NMI plans to support ICOM in celebrating this years’ theme of ‘Museum and Memory’ through a one-day working seminar,” he said.
In a recent conference of the Conservation Committee of the ICOM (ICOM-CC) on March 10-11 and the March 14-15 seminar on “Museology and Conservation: A complementary concept involving modern science”, the national museum stressed on the need for foreign expertise to upgrade facilities.
The seminar addressed the potential of two important disciplines - museology and conservation for management of invaluable heritage which involves science as complementary concept.
The seminar was inaugurated by C.V. Ananda Bose, administrator of the National Museum.
He said the museums were vibrant and dynamic entities and they must re-discover and re-interpret themselves by becoming people-oriented.
- Museum study, conservation - new-age career options - Sep 17, 2011
- Government mulls new cultural university to conserve heritage - Apr 17, 2011
- At 61, National Museum to get a facelift - Oct 09, 2010
- Delhi celebrates International Museum Day - May 18, 2011
- National Museum to set up 1,000 people's museums across India - Apr 09, 2011
- National Museum set for complete facelift - Apr 18, 2011
- Apex Court to examine opening of Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple vault - Mar 29, 2012
- Kerala temple's vault B not to be opened now: Supreme Court - Sep 22, 2011
- Campus museums to come up in Kerala, Himachal - Jun 16, 2011
- Don't open Kerala temple's vault B for now: Supreme Court - Sep 16, 2011
- New post created to guard Kerala temple treasure - Jul 26, 2011
- Experts begin documenting Kerala temple treasure - Aug 01, 2011
- Apex court names panel to evaluate Kerala temple treasure - Jul 21, 2011
- Experts to begin documenting Kerala temple treasure - Jul 31, 2011
- 'Temple treasure counting to resume soon' - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: apex, apex body, capacity building, conservation committee, conservation expertise, department of conservation, disciplines, dynamic entities, expert groups, global institutions, heritage, international conservation, international council of museums, international experts, modern science, museology, museum professionals, nair, New Delhi, seminars