National Museum promises better maintenance and displayDecember 13th, 2011 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) The National Museum has initiated remedial action to address shortcomings of the maintenance of art objects and antiquities at the National Museum, Culture Minister Kumari Selja said in the Lok Sabha here Tuesday.
The observations about shortcomings were in areas of acquisition, accessioning, photo-documentaion, preservation, digitisation, computerised documentation, display, storage, physical verification, handing over and taking over galleries and closure of galleries, said a statement from the culture ministry.
Eight galleries are closed at the National Museum currently because they are either under renovation or refurbishing and restoration of art works on display. The wood carving gallery was initially closed as the musical instruments from the musical instruments gallery were shifed there to renovate the musical instruments gallery.
The wood carving gallery is currently being renovated. The jewellery gallery which was closed after a Russia exhibition in 2008 could not open for administrative reasons, the statement added.
“The National Museum follows internationally accepted practises for preservation and storage of art objects. The museum has a conservation laboratory and facilities for keeping temperature and relative humidity at optimum level are available in the galleries,” the minister said.
“Objects on display in different galleries are rotated from time to time,” she added.
- At 61, National Museum to get a facelift - Oct 09, 2010
- National Museum set for complete facelift - Apr 18, 2011
- NGMA gets a new parallel address on Google Art Project - Apr 10, 2012
- New Sangeet Natak Akademi museum to open next month - Jul 18, 2011
- Ramkinkar Baij colours Delhi's spring canvas (With Image) - Feb 09, 2012
- Mayas had their own musical scale, say experts - Dec 14, 2011
- Museum of performing arts to come up in Delhi - Mar 08, 2011
- 'Temple' inside San Diego Museum - Dec 18, 2010
- Heritage Indian instruments retrieved from obscurity - Dec 18, 2010
- Australia, Visva-Bharati to collaborate on Tagore Museum - Mar 15, 2011
- Brooklyn Museum in USA to exhibit Lord Vishnu from June - Mar 05, 2011
- London's V&A; Museum showcases Tagore, Kalighat paintings - Oct 18, 2011
- California's Norton Simon Museum exhibiting Vishnu and other Hindu sculptures - Apr 23, 2011
- Britain, India working to conserve culture: British Museum director - Jul 29, 2010
- Britain, India working to conserve culture: British Museum director (Lead, correcting name) - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: administrative reasons, antiquities, art objects, art works, conservation laboratory, culture minister, culture ministry, jewellery gallery, kumari, Lok Sabha, museum culture, musical instruments gallery, New Delhi, optimum level, physical verification, preservation digitisation, relative humidity, remedial action, shortcomings, wood carving gallery