National Grass Court Tennis meet from Feb 6February 1st, 2012 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 1 (IANS) Saketh Myneni has got a place in the men’s draw of the Rs.5 lakh prize money Indian Jute National Grass Court Tennis Championships to be held on the famous greens of Calcutta South Club here Feb 6-11.
Other top players in the men’s event are Vignesh Peranamallur and Abhijeet Tiwari, besides old warhorses Vijay Kannan and Vinod Sridhar.
Twenty-four-year-old Andhra Pradesh’s Myneni, now eleventh in the national ranking, has come up with a series of decent performances of late, and would be the prime attraction in the meet, the organisers said Wednesday
Local girl Shivika Burman, who has emerged victorious in an ITF $10,000 women’s tournament in Africa will be the top draw in the women’s event.
Ankita Raina, Gopika Kapoor and veteran Rushmi Chakravarti will be the other leading participants in the women’s competition.
Men’s defending champion Suresh Krishna of Andhra Pradesh has got a wild card entry for the tournament being sponsored by the National Jute Board of the ministry of textiles in the centre.
Women’s title holder Kyra Shroff will be missing the action this year as she is busy in a tournament abroad.
The main draw will be a round of 32 in both the men’s and women’s singles and doubles.
The Calcutta South Club established in 1920, hosted the first Grass Court National Championship of India in 1946.
- National grass court tennis from Feb 6 (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Sixth seed Selvaraj bows out of National Grass Court Tennis - Feb 07, 2012
- National Grass Court Tennis: Top seed Myneni in final - Feb 10, 2012
- Myneni, Rushmi new champions at National Grass Court Tennis - Feb 11, 2012
- Ashutosh through to last eight, Shivika out of national tennis - Mar 02, 2011
- National Tennis: Vishnu, Yuki breeze into semis - Oct 13, 2011
- Vishnu Vardhan top seed in ITF event - May 23, 2012
- Tennis: Nelord, Vignaesh ousted, unseeded Wagh in semis - Mar 03, 2011
- Tennis Nationals: Mayneni outplays Kanan - Oct 10, 2011
- National Grass Court Tennis: Top seed Myneni in semis - Feb 09, 2012
- Selvaraj knocks out Jeong at ITF meet - Jul 31, 2012
- Malik leads way into last 8 in ITF meet - May 30, 2012
- Myneni, Marsalek in final of ITF Futures - Nov 11, 2011
- Myneni enters semi-finals of ITF Futures tennis - Nov 10, 2011
- Saketh, Jeong in title round of ITF meet - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, burman, calcutta, court tennis, defending champion, first grass, grass court, jute, kannan, kolkata, lakh, national championship, organisers, prime attraction, prize money, suresh krishna, tennis championships, vinod sridhar, warhorses, wild card