National gas grid to be ready by 2015February 6th, 2009 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 6 (IANS) The pan-Indian network to distribute piped gas will be up and running by 2015, with 8,000 km of the grid under development and the government approving nine additional pipelines, a top official of the regulator said here Friday.”The entire network can be in place earliest by 2015,” L. Mansingh, chairman of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board, told reporters on the sidelines of a seminar on city-based natural gas distribution.
The statutory board, which regulates the distribution, marketing and sale of petroleum products and natural gas, is now developing 8,000 km of the national gas grid. The board came into existence Oct 1, 2007.
Mansingh said nine more pipelines, apart form the eight being developed now, have received the government’s approval.
The board has prepared the draft notification on tariff for the city gas distribution network, he added.
On expanding the city networks, board member B.S. Negi said the board has set a target of increasing the number of geographical areas from 25 now to 85 in three years. “In the next 10 years, 200 geographical areas will be covered,” he added.
The body has received 71 expressions of interest from across the country.
Mansingh said besides new players, companies operating gas distribution networks before the board came into existence also have to be authorised by it.
On the price front, he said in areas that already have such networks, consumers are getting gas at “one-third” the rate of subsidised cooking gas.
- India plans two national gas grids - Oct 19, 2010
- Gas distribution networks to be set up in Uttar Pradesh - May 22, 2012
- 'Natural gas will reach common man in two years' - Dec 22, 2009
- Government to open CNG stations along highways - Aug 13, 2010
- Surat-Paradip Gas pipeline to cover four Chhattisgarh districts - Nov 13, 2010
- 11,000 km of LNG pipelines laid so far - Aug 21, 2012
- Mexico invites bids for $3.5 bn gas pipeline project - Mar 21, 2012
- Gas board questioned on Gujarat-Punjab pipeline (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- GAIL to form joint venture to supply gas to Karnataka - Jun 08, 2011
- Court quashes regulatory board's order on CNG - Jun 01, 2012
- Consortium to invest Rs.12,500 crore in gas pipeline project - May 21, 2011
- GSPC-led consortium wins bid for Kakinada-Bhilwara pipeline - Oct 19, 2010
- Have power to frame CNG tariff rules, regulator tells court - May 22, 2012
- Nod for Kolkata gas distribution MoU - Oct 20, 2011
- India to get gas from Turkmenistan - May 17, 2012
Tags: board member, city networks, draft notification, entire network, existence, expressions of interest, gas distribution network, gas distribution networks, gas grid, geographical areas, mansingh, natural gas distribution, negi, petroleum products, pipelines, regulatory board, sidelines, statutory board, target, tariff