National Conference to challenge AzadNovember 6th, 2008 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Nov 6 (IANS) The National Conference, which had not fielded any candidate against Ghulam Nabi Azad of the Congress during the April 2006 by-election, will challenge the former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister in his Bhaderwah constituency in the forthcoming assembly elections. The National Conference has announced that former advocate general Mohammad Aslam Goni will contest from Bhaderwah.
The constituency in Doda district had virtually been a cakewalk for Azad in the by-poll, which he had won with a landslide margin of more than 30,000 votes against his sole rival from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
BJP has this time fielded its former state unit president D.K. Kotwal from the constituency.
The National Conference list has also mentioned that party patron and chief ministerial candidate Farooq Abdullah will contest from the Hazratbal constituency in Srinagar, in place of Mohammad Sayeed Akhoon who fought on this seat in 1996 and 2002.
National Conference president Omar Abdullah is contesting from Ganderbal, which he had lost in 2002 to his People’s Democratic Party (PDP) rival, Qazi Mohammad Afzal.
This time again, he is facing Afzal, who was a minister in the Congress-PDP coalition government.
The state is going to seven-phased polls from Nov 17 to Dec 24.
- Azad lambasts National Conference, PDP alike - Apr 19, 2012
- Azad to seek re-election from Bhaderwah - Nov 22, 2008
- Ruckus in Kashmir assembly over cricket scam - Mar 13, 2012
- Mufti lashes out at Omar government on development - Jul 03, 2011
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- Sixth phase of polling begins in Jammu region - Dec 17, 2008
- Enthusiastic polling in Jammu region (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Committed to equal growth in all Kashmir regions: PDP - Nov 30, 2011
- Penultimate round of Jammu and Kashmir polls will see rivals fight it out - Dec 16, 2008
- Azad's fate sealed in sixth phase of Jammu and Kashmir polling - Dec 17, 2008
- Pranab to visit Kashmir to scout for support - Jul 08, 2012
- Kashmir cricket body lodges report with police - Mar 10, 2012
- Omar invokes Dickens, destiny to describe tenure (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Polling picks up in Jammu, clashes in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Kashmir assembly by-polls on April 23, May 7 - Mar 10, 2009