National Conference-Congress to meetOctober 30th, 2011 - 1:24 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 30 (IANS) The Jammu and Kashmir coalition government of the National Conference (NC) and the Congress will be meeting here to discuss issues confronting them, especially the differences over the revocation of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from some parts of the state, a top leader said Sunday.
State Congress chief Saif-ud-Din Soz confirmed to IANS that he would be soon convening the meeting of the coordination panel.
“There will be an agenda and that will be discussed at the coordination meet,” Soz said.
The meeting could be after the “Durbar move”, when the civil secretariat and other important offices of the state government open in this winter capital next month, sources said.
The first attempt would be to rebuild an atmosphere of trust between the two parties, as the words in media and public from both the sides have hurt the image of the coalition, sources said.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah recently advocated AFSPA’s revocation from some areas of the state.
The AFSPA, which gives sweeping powers to the armed forces to scout, seize, detain and arrest with impunity, was invoked in the valley in 1990 and in the Jammu region in 2001.
The two parties were returned to power in the state in January 2009.
- Soz to meet Congress high command on AFSPA - Oct 29, 2011
- Soz discusses AFSPA with governor? - Nov 21, 2011
- Can Kashmir afford Omar-army confrontation? (Kashmir Newsletter) - Nov 13, 2011
- Rotational chief minister decision upto 'high command': Soz - Dec 17, 2011
- Congress lambasts Omar for acting in 'arbitrary manner' - Oct 27, 2011
- National Conference, Congress hold co-ordination meet - Jan 07, 2012
- Kashmir Congress chief meets governor - Dec 24, 2011
- NC-Congress coordination panel to meet Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- Congress minister's pro-Omar remark draws party's flak - Oct 30, 2011
- Unease in Kashmir coalition ahead of meet - Jul 21, 2011
- Cabinet discusses AFSPA, reviews situation in Kashmir - Oct 27, 2011
- Poll victory shows alliance unity: Omar - Apr 13, 2011
- Malhotra recommended for post of Kashmir council acting chairman - Oct 15, 2011
- Kashmir cabinet meet on AFSPA postponed? - Nov 16, 2011
- Omar meets Antony on AFSPA ahead of state cabinet meet - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: afspa, armed forces, atmosphere of trust, chief minister, civil secretariat, coalition government, congress chief, coordination panel, impunity, jammu region, kashmir, oct 30, revocation, secretariat, state congress, state government, winter capital