National Conference, Congress supporters clash in KashmirNovember 13th, 2008 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 13 (IANS) Supporters of the National Conference and Congress clashed Thursday in north Kashmir Ganderbal during Omar Abdullah’s road show there.“National Conference president Omar Abdullah was on way to Wakura village in Ganderbal when a group of Congress supporters tried to interrupt his road show at Barsoo,” a police officer told IANS.
Barsoo village is nearly 30 km from here.
“Security men deployed to protect the National Conference road show fired tear smoke shells to disperse the clashing supporters of the two parties,” the police officer said.
Abdullah was also to address a party meeting at Wakura.
The road show and the public meeting were National Conference’s first shows of strength in the Ganderbal constituency from where Abdullah is contesting elections against Qazi Muhammad Afzal of the Peoples Democratic Party and Sheikh Muhammad Ashfaq of the Congress.
There are nine more candidates in the fray from the north Kashmir prestigious constituency - once considered to be the Abdullah family’s bastion.
Abdullah lost the 2002 election from the constituency from where his father Farooq and grand-father Sheikh Abdullah had won previously - many times unopposed.
- I won't repeat past mistakes: Omar Abdullah - Nov 13, 2008
- Afzal Guru's hanging will re-kindle militancy: Yasin Malik - Sep 29, 2011
- National Conference buoyant on Omar's re-emergence from Ganderbal - Nov 21, 2008
- On his last roadshow, Omar cajoles, pleads with voters - Nov 21, 2008
- Congress hits back at NC over 'grenade attacks' remark - Nov 02, 2011
- Can Abdullah emerge unscathed from AFSPA logjam? - Nov 16, 2011
- Omar, Farooq to campaign for Congress in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 08, 2011
- Supporters of two political parties clash in J-K ahead of elections - Nov 13, 2008
- Terms of Indira-Abdullah 1975 accord were never fulfilled: Mustafa Kamal (Interview) - Jul 01, 2012
- I did not pay money to either Abdullah: NC worker - Oct 07, 2011
- Kashmir legislator seeks clemency for Afzal Guru - Sep 01, 2011
- Omar asks uncle not to drag him into controversy - Nov 22, 2011
- Omar Abdullah seeks to erase blip in party history (Constituency Profile) - Nov 10, 2008
- Omar made National Conference working president - Apr 07, 2012
- Omar Abdullah to file nomination papers from Ganderbal - Nov 03, 2008