Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on 139th birth anniversaryOctober 2nd, 2008 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 2 (IANS) With Mahatma Gandhi’s favourite bhajan “Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram” playing in the background, hundreds of people thronged the memorial to the Father of the Nation here Thursday to commemorate his 139th birth anniversary.President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh led the nation in paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi at his memorial at Rajghat.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Home Minister Shivraj Patil, Defence Minister A.K. Antony and Leader of Opposition L.K Advani were among other who paid floral tributes.
Representatives of nine religions - Buddhism, Baha’i, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism and Sikhism - took part in a prayer meeting at Rajghat.
Hundreds of people queued up in front of the memorial to offer their homage, braving the stringent three rounds of security checks and the hot sun. Many school children also took time out to pay tribute to the Father of the Nation.
“I come here every year with my grandfather to pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi,” said 12-year-old Shivalika.
Several organisations like Gandhi Smriti and Gandhi Museum have organised special exhibitions on Mahatma Gandhi to create awareness among youngsters about his teachings and his role in helping India gain Independence.
To protest against communal violence and increasing attacks on Christians across the nation, a Peace March is being organised from Jantar Mantar to Rajghat. Mahatma Gandhi’s birth anniversary is also observed as the International Day of Non-Violence.
“In the present scenario when innocents are being killed in communal violence and terror attacks, there is an immediate need to spread Mahatma Gandhi’s message of peace, communal harmony and non violence,” Father Dominic Emanuel, convenor of the march, said.
- Commoner to leader, thousands pay homage to the Mahatma - Oct 02, 2011
- Delhi pays tribute to Mahatma Gandhi - Oct 02, 2010
- Nation pays tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs' Day - Jan 30, 2010
- President, PM pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi (Lead) - Oct 02, 2010
- India pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs' Day (Lead) - Jan 30, 2010
- Pakistani makes Gandhi's portrait with blood - Oct 02, 2011
- Children sing in praise of Gandhi - Oct 02, 2011
- India pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi - Jan 30, 2010
- A generation that wants to 'know the Mahatma' - Oct 02, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Rajiv Gandhi on his 66th birth anniversary - Aug 20, 2010
- Gandhi Smriti all set for Martyr's Day events - Jan 29, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 141st birth anniversary - Oct 02, 2010
- Sonia's first appearance post surgery, visits Rajghat - Oct 02, 2011
- German Foreign Minister visits Rajghat - Oct 19, 2010
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs' Day - Jan 30, 2011