Narrow escape for school childrenAugust 19th, 2012 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Aug 19 (IANS) Several students, including foreigners, of an international school had a narrow escape here Sunday when their hostel room caught fire, an official said.
The fire was reported from Lancers International School in DLF Phase 5 area.
Gurgaon Chief Fire Officer Mahender Bhardwaj told IANS that the fire broke out at 8 a.m. following a short circuit in the air conditioner. The curtains caught fire and the flames spread rapidly.
“The smoke spread to another rooms where 14 students including eight Koreans were sleeping. They were evacuated after breaking windows as their rooms were locked from inside,” Bhardwaj added.
He said no one in the school knew how to operate their own fire fighting system.
No one was injured. All the escaped students were in the age group of 12 to 14 years. The school authorities declined to speak to the media.
- Dozens trapped in burning Mantralaya, navy called (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Medical factory gutted in Gurgaon - May 27, 2012
- Woman leaps from burning building in the London riots - Aug 09, 2011
- Narrow escape for 30 kids in Gurgaon - Apr 09, 2012
- Hospital fire kills patient in Brazil - Jul 05, 2012
- Northeast students want CBI to probe deaths of Loitam, Sangma - May 13, 2012
- Bihar officials asked to explain Dalit hostel attack - Jul 25, 2012
- People saved from burning ship off Turkey - Aug 04, 2012
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- Five killed as train catches fire in Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- 16 injured in Mantralaya fire, blaze under control (Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 21, 2012
- Fire kills five members of Pune family - May 06, 2011
- Fire in finance ministry office in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Fire destroys Maruti ancillary unit in Gurgaon - Jun 20, 2012