Narrow escape for 1,000 train passengers in AssamJune 17th, 2011 - 10:58 am ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 17 (IANS) A train carrying around 1,000 passengers had a miraculous escape Friday with security forces detecting a powerful bomb found inside the train at the Guwahati railway station in Assam, police said.
The bomb, kept in a steel container and concealed inside a bag, was fitted with a time device inside coach S5 of the Kanchengunja Express. It was detected by security forces during a routine check just when the train from Bangalore arrived in Guwahati around 5.15 am.
“Security forces were conducting a routine search when they found an unattended small but heavy bag and on suspicion they checked and detected the bomb neatly concealed,” a senior police officer said.
Passengers were immediately evacuated from the station and soon after a bomb disposal squad arrived.
“It was an improvised explosive device weighing about five kg and fitted with a timer. It was a powerful bomb and had it exploded, it would have been a disaster,” he said. The bomb was disposed soon after.
Preliminary investigations revealed the bag containing the bomb could have been left inside the coach sometime during the night in the Assam sector.
“We don’t know who could be behind the act, but definitely some militant group from Assam who are opposed to the peace talks might have been behind this,” he added.
- 1,000 train passengers escape disaster in Assam (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Security intensified in Delhi railway stations - Jun 17, 2011
- Bomb found in Assam train, defused - Aug 12, 2011
- 10 bombs found on Assam railway bridge - Nov 09, 2011
- Ten grenades found at Guwahati railway station - Aug 05, 2010
- Exodus reversed: Special train to Bangalore leaves Guwahati - Sep 01, 2012
- High security in Assam for PM's visit, IED recovered - Apr 19, 2012
- Maharashtra Police defuse live bomb in Pune - Feb 11, 2011
- High alert in Guwahati following bomb blast - Jul 16, 2010
- Rail track blast kills one in Assam, injures seven (Second Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- Assam rail track blast kills one, injures seven (Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- Bomb detected on Delhi-bound train, defused - Apr 15, 2010
- Unattended bags create security scare at Mumbai airport - Sep 10, 2011
- Bomb scare at Metro station (Lead) - Oct 03, 2010
- Powerful explosive device detected at Howrah station (Lead) - Feb 11, 2010
Tags: assam police, bomb disposal squad, disaster, explosive device, guwahati, investigations, militant group, narrow escape, peace talks, police officer, railway station, routine check, routine search, s5, security forces, steel container, suspicion, time device, timer, train passengers