Narang’s medal will inspire other Indian athletes: MakenJuly 30th, 2012 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 30 (IANS) Union Sports Minister Ajay Maken Sunday congratulated shooter Gagan Narang for winning India’s first medal at the London Olympics and said his bronze will inspire other athletes to do well in the mega event.
“I am sure this medal will boost morale for athletes in other disciplines in the competition. His medal has set the ball rolling and it will inspire other athletes to win medals. The medal came a bit late in the Games but it was surely worth the wait,” Maken told reporters outside the Royal Artillery Barracks where Narang shot an overall score of 701.1 in the men’s 10m air rifle to finish third.
“He could have won the gold had it not been for a couple of bad shots. It would have been even better if Abhinav Bindra stood on the podium as well,” added the minister referring to Beijing gold medallist Bindra, who failed to qualify for the final.
Narang is also slated to take part in the 50m rifle 3 position and 50 m rifle prone later in the July 27-Aug 12 Games.
- Narang's bronze will motivate Indian athletes: Maken (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- I achieved what I came here to do: Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- After hockey, shooting is India's most successful Olympic sport - Jul 30, 2012
- Narang aims for a medal at London olympics - Nov 03, 2011
- I am sure Gagan will do well: Bindra (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Needed a little luck: Bindra (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Bindra fails to qualify, Narang makes final - Jul 30, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins bronze, Saina advances (Intro Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: first medal in, hopes alive in badminton and tennis (Overall India Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Narang emerges out of Bindra's shadow (Profile) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins India's first medal a bronze (India Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: 10m air rifle, 701 1, ajay maken, beijing, disciplines, games, gold medallist, India, indian athletes, london olympics, medals, narang, olympics, overall score, podium, royal artillery, shooter, union sports, worth the wait