Nandan Bal to continue as Davis Cup coachSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 1:11 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 1 (IANS) Former national champion and Davis Cupper Nandan Bal will continue as India’s Davis Cup coach for the World Group play-off tie against Romania in Bucharest from Sep 19-21.Announcing this here Monday, All India Tennis Association (AITA) Secretary-General Anil Khanna said a four-member back-up staff will accompany the team.
Besides Bal, Vece Paes, hockey Olympian and father of Leander Paes, will be the team doctor. Shyamlal Vallabjee and Sanjay Singh are the physiotherapists.
S.P. Mishra has already been appointed non-playing captain after Leander Paes stepped down as playing captain after the Beijing Olympics.
Khanna said the private coach or trainer of any player was free to accompany the player but would not be part of the official squad or be allowed to train with the team. S. P. Mishra will take a call on their role during the tie.
Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi, Prakash Amritraj and Somdev Devvarman have been picked for the tie.
At the AGM, Yashwant Sinha and Khanna were re-elected president and secretary-general for another four year-term 2008-2012).
Bharat N. Oza has been elected honorary joint secretary and Prof T.D. Francis as honorary treasurer.
S.M. Krishna was elected as Life President for his services to the game of tennis. The late R.K. Khanna was the first life president.
- Krishna plays key role in breaking tennis deadlock - Jun 21, 2012
- AITA picks two teams for Olympics, Paes still unhappy (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- Maken retreats; AITA, Bhupathi back to square one (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Khanna elected AITA president - Jun 16, 2012
- Chandigarh to host India-New Zealand Davis Cup tie - Apr 10, 2012
- Aircel to sponsor Indian Davis Cup team - Sep 09, 2011
- AITA backs Paes, gives sports ministry five options - Jun 19, 2012
- Four Indians for Junior Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Davis Cup: Somdev to spearhead India's challenge against Serbia - Jan 29, 2011
- Gloves off in Paes-Bhupathi battle - Jun 15, 2012
- Somdev to lead Indian challenge in Davis Cup, CWG - Aug 13, 2010
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- AITA defends Nasima's appointment as women's team manager - Jul 10, 2012
- A very special Davis Cup tie: Leander - Sep 14, 2010
- 'Will convince Bhupathi or Bopanna to play with Hesh' - Jun 19, 2012