Nanda lets out a sigh as BMW hit-and-run case sentencing is deferredSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 3 (IANS) A tense looking Sanjeev Nanda, who stood listening with rapt attention to Additional Sessions Judge Vinod Kumar in the crowded court room Wednesday, gave a sigh as the quantum of sentence in the BMW hit-and-run case was deferred till Sep 5.Wearing a striped grey shirt and formal trousers, Nanda kept wiping his brow every now and then, even as his friends and family members sat a few steps away, worry writ large over their faces.
Nanda, the grandson of former navy chief S.M. Nanda and son of arms dealer Suresh Nanda, was returning in an inebriated state from a party in Gurgaon with his friends Manik Kapoor and Siddharth Gupta in the early hours of Jan 10, 1999 when he ran over six people in south Delhi’s Lodhi Colony.
Kumar, who had found Nanda guilty Tuesday under Section 304 (2) of the Indian Penal Code for culpable homicide not amounting to murder for which the maximum sentence is 10 years, said that the quantum of sentence will now be pronounced Friday.
Before the deferment of the judgment was announced, the worried grandmother of Nanda, wearing a simple blue salwar-kurta and carrying a flashy bag, stood outside the courtroom taking a snack break and talking to her husband in a hushed tone.
Unlike the day before when his family members reacted emotionally at the guilty verdict, Nanda’s mother and others appeared worried but calm even as his friends spoke to him, while constantly giving his arms a squeeze or patting his slouching back.
- Nanda's sentencing deferred to Friday (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2008
- Kanimozhi relaxed after bail verdict deferred - May 14, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- R.K. Anand offers apology - Jan 18, 2011
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- Traditional apparels dominate fourth day of Chennai Fashion Week - Jul 11, 2010
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Nanda's friend contests his BMW conviction in apex court - Jul 24, 2009
- Shop till you drop in Kolkata! It's Durga Puja time - Oct 11, 2010
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- 'Swagatam', as children paint hennaed palms to Hariharan song - Oct 03, 2010
- Kanimozhi's bail plea order after 1 p.m. - May 20, 2011
- Sanjeev Nanda found guilty in BMW hit-and-run case - Sep 02, 2008
- Sanjiv Nandas quantum of sentence today - Sep 03, 2008