Nanavati report most exhaustive and scientific, says BJPSeptember 25th, 2008 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 25 (IANS) Terming it as “most extensive, exhaustive and scientific”, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday welcomed the Justice (retd) Nanavati Commission’s report, which found that the train burning tragedy at Godhra in 2002 was a well-planned conspiracy.“Justice Nanavati’s report is the most extensive, exhaustive and scientific report on the burning of Sabarmati Express train,” BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar told newspersons here.
He said this will put an end to all theories which claim the burning of the train was an accident and that the fire broke out from inside.
“If the fire started from inside, people could have jumped out. There was an attack from the outside,” added Javadekar.
The Nanavati Commission’s first report, tabled in the Gujarat assembly Thursday, contradicts the report by the Justice (retd) U.C. Banerjee’s investigation committee, set up by Railway Minister Lalu Prasad, which held that the fire was accidental.
Javadekar said it was only on the insistence of Lalu Prasad that the Banerjee Committee’s report was prepared in a hurry ahead of of assembly elections in Bihar.
“The report was ill-prepared and politically motivated,” added Javadekar.
Fifty-nine people were burnt alive in the S-6 coach of the Sabarmati Express when a violent mob set ablaze two coaches at the Godhra railway station on Feb 27, 2002. Many of them were Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) activists returning after a campaign in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh.
The gruesome tragedy led to communal violence across the state for over a week in which 1,169 people, a majority of them Muslims, were killed, according to official figures.
- BJP hails Godhra verdict - Feb 22, 2011
- 31 convicted in India Godhra train fire - Feb 23, 2011
- Apex court recalls notice on Narendra Modi (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Justice Nanavati Commission summons top Gujarat cop Bhatt - Apr 27, 2011
- 31 convicted, 63 acquitted for Godhra train burning (Roundup) - Feb 22, 2011
- Godhra train burning judgement does not justify riots: Moily - Mar 01, 2011
- Will Modi be summoned for riots probe, asks high court - Jan 21, 2010
- Gujarat riots probe panel's term extended - Jun 21, 2011
- Godhra riot case: Relief for Modi from apex court (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Petition seeking Narendra Modi's deposition before Nanavati panel rejected (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Godhra train burning was conspiracy, Modi innocent: probe panel (Intro Roundup) - Sep 25, 2008
- Godhra train fire was pre-planned, says Nanavati panel - Sep 25, 2008
- Supreme Court refuses to embargo Nanavati Commission report - Oct 13, 2008
- Godhra tragedy pre-planned, probe panel finds (Lead) - Sep 25, 2008
- 'Narendra Modi needn't depose before Nanavati panel' (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012