Nagori’s police custody in Ahmedabad bombings extendedSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Sep 3 (IANS) The police custody of Safdar Nagori, a leader of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI), and four of his associates arrested for their alleged role in the July 26 Ahmedabad bombings, was Wednesday extended till Sep 8.As the Crime Branch of the Ahmedabad police petitioned that it needed more time for interrogation of the suspects, Metropolitan Magistrate G.M. Patel extended the police custody of the accused by five days.
Police officials said Nagori and four others had meticulously planned the serial blasts in Ahmedabad during SIMI training camps held in Kerala and Halol in Gujarat.
Nagori and his associates - his brother Kamruddin Nagori, Aamil Pervez, Asif Hussain and Abdul Sibli - were arrested in Madhya Pradesh in March 2008. They were brought to Gujarat last month on transit remand and were in police custody till Sep 3.
The Crime Branch said it had strong reasons to suspect Nagori played a key role in the serial blasts in Ahmedabad, which claimed 56 lives, and the recovery of bombs from Surat.
It contended that Nagori and his four accomplices had organised more than eight training camps across the country prior to their arrest in March and had trained SIMI activists in handling arms and ammunition, manufacturing bombs, explosive devices and other terrorist activities.
These men were members of the banned SIMI, which they had renamed as Indian Mujaheedin, it said.
Crime Branch officials further said they had recovered jehadi literature, books, newsletters and photocopies abandoned near a well of a mosque in Lal Darwaza here Monday evening.
The seized material included a book written by bombing mastermind Mufti Abu Bashir, “Nishan-e-Raaz”.
Hashim Qureshi, the lawyer for the five accused, said his clients were not jehadis and had nothing to do with the serial blasts.
He said there was no need for extending the remand as his clients had been interrogated by the police for the past 10 days.
After hearing arguments from both sides, the metropolitan magistrate said in his order that Nagori and four others are accused of serious offences which were “pre-planned and well-organised”.
The court also observed that the accused were not cooperating with the police.