Naga rebel group calls 36 hour shutdownJanuary 24th, 2012 - 1:03 am ICT by IANS
Kohima, Jan 23 (IANS) The Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagaland-Isak Muivah (NSCN-IM) has called for a 36 hours state-wide shutdown in the state starting 6 a.m. Jan 25 to protest against two decisions of the central government.
The bandh was called in protest against the move to restrict the movement of its leaders into Zunheboto and deployment of security forces around the designated camp at Hebron in Nagaland, the NSCN-IM, which is currently in a dialogue with the Indian government, said in a media statement.
All the institutions including commercial establishments and educational institutions are included in the shutdown but emergency services like hospitals, medicines and others are, however, exempted, it said.
Twelve prominent separatist groups in the northeast have already called a boycott of the Republic Day and also a general strike from 1 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Jan 26.
The call has been given by the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), Hynniewtrep Achik Liberation Council (HALC) of Meghalaya, Manipur People’s Liberation Front (MPLF) - an umbrella group comprising seven major militant outfits in the state, the Kamatapur Liberation Organisation (KLO), National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT), and the Tripura People’s Democratic Front (TPDF).
- Security alert in northeast over R-Day boycott - Jan 23, 2011
- Call to boycott I-Day celebrations in northeast - Aug 10, 2010
- Goods train bombed, bus attacked in Assam ahead of R-Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Security beefed up in northeast for I-Day - Aug 14, 2010
- People defy I-Day boycott call in northeast - Aug 15, 2010
- Meghalaya's views sought to declare GNLA outlawed - Nov 01, 2011
- Khasi rebel outfit urged to give up armed struggle - May 02, 2010
- Northeast groups call for I-Day boycott - Aug 11, 2011
- Most people in northeast yearn for peace: Mooshahary - May 01, 2010
- Meghalaya militant leader still a police officer in records - Jul 30, 2010
- Two armed Khasi rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Talks start with Meghalaya militant outfit - Mar 16, 2010
- Khasi rebel outfit ready for talks - Aug 15, 2012
- Northeast under high alert, night trains cancelled - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: achik, bandh, central government, commercial establishments, democratic front, educational institutions, halc, hebron, indian government, liberation organisation, militant outfits, national liberation front, nscn, rebel group, republic day, security forces, separatist groups, ulfa, umbrella group, united liberation front