Naga paratrooper kills officer, West Bengal policemanDecember 2nd, 2010 - 1:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 2 (IANS) A Naga paratrooper deployed for anti-Maoist operations in West Bengal’s Purulia district gunned down his superior and a state armed police constable, police said. He was arrested Thursday morning.
“A jawan (paratrooper) of the Indian Reserve Battalion (IRB) Nagaland shot his superior following a heated argument late Wednesday. Hearing the sound of firing inside the camp, another jawan of the state armed police, on duty at the main gate of the camp, rushed inside and was also shot by the Naga jawan,” Purulia Police Superintendent Sunil Chowdhury said.
According to a police officer, the trouble started after the Naga constable fired two rounds in the air without any reason. Hearing the sound, the officer of higher rank came downstairs and asked him not to fire. “But a heated altercation broke out between them. The Naga jawan fired several rounds at the inspector, who was in-charge of the company. He died on the spot.”
“A jawan of constable rank of the state armed police came running but was also fired at. He was rushed to the hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries,” he added.
Six companies of the IRB from Nagaland were deployed in Purulia for anti-Maoist operations a few months back.
- Naga trooper guns down officer, West Bengal policeman (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Seven special police men suspended in West Bengal - Oct 14, 2011
- Top Maoist incites Naga security personnel to defy orders in Bengal - Sep 29, 2010
- Four Maoists, one trooper killed in Chhattisgarh gun battle - Aug 17, 2011
- Maoist, trooper killed in West Bengal gunfight (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Maoist hideout busted in Bengal, arms seized - Feb 03, 2011
- Maoists kill three people in West Bengal - Nov 08, 2010
- Chhattisgarh cop killed in Maoist attack - Sep 16, 2011
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Six Maoists, one CRPF trooper killed in Bengal gunfight (Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- Maoists regrouping in Bengal: Police - Jul 05, 2011
- One killed, four injured in Bihar as SSB opens fire - May 26, 2012
- Guard at Bansal's house shoots himself accidentally - Aug 23, 2011
- Maoists kill four persons in West Bengal (Lead) - Nov 08, 2010
- Maoists kill Salwa Judum leader, eight rebels arrested (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: altercation, armed police, higher rank, irb, maoist, nagaland, paratrooper, police constable, police officer, police superintendent, policeman, purulia, reserve battalion, six companies, thursday morning, west bengal