Nadal wins record seventh French Open (Lead)June 11th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, June 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Rafael Nadal beat Novak Djokovic in a rain-delayed French Open final Monday to eclipse the great Bjorn Borg for a record seventh Roland Garros title.
It was a predictably gladiatorial contest that ended on a whimper as the Serbian World No. 1 double-faulted, sending the teary Spaniard to his knees and, then, into the stands to embrace his loved ones.
The final score was 6-4, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, cementing Nadal’s nickname as the King of Clay.
“For me it’s a real honour. … For me this tournament is the most special in the world. It’s probably one of the special moments of my career,” he said after overtaking Borg’s record of six titles between 1974 and 1981.
It is seven years since Nadal claimed his first title in Paris at his first attempt as a 19-year-old.
Asked whether Nadal had any room left at home for yet another trophy, the 26-year-old responded: “There is always a space for a Roland Garros trophy.”
It was his 11th Grand Slam title.
Djokovic got over his initial despondency quickly, smiling as he admitted: “Rafa was a better player. I hope to come back next year and play better. It was a privilege to be in this final.”
The match had been stopped Sunday night due to rain with Djokovic just having managed to claw himself back into the match, taking the third set after Nadal cruised to the first two.
- French Open final postponed to Monday - Jun 11, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympics tennis: gold for Belarus in mixed doubles - Aug 06, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- List of French Open winners in last 10 years - Jun 11, 2012
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- Clay king Nadal lifts emphatic fifth title in Paris (Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Wimbledon postponed by a week to let players rest - Jul 20, 2012
- Nadal wins US Open for career Grand Slam - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: 19 year old, bjorn borg, bs, despondency, final score, french open, grand slam title, honour, knees, nickname, novak djokovic, privilege, rafael nadal, record seventh, ria novosti, roland garros, seven years, spaniard, vm, whimper