NADA conducts surprise raid at NIS, Patiala (Lead)July 9th, 2011 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Patiala, July 9 (IANS) Reeling under the doping scandal, the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) conducted a surprise raid at the National Institute of Sports (NIS) here Saturday.
A four-member NADA team searched the hostel rooms where athletes reside and also collected samples for testing.
“A four-member team conducted the raid,” a top NADA official told IANS.
“The team searched the hostel rooms of the athletes. They will collected urine samples of the athletes for testing,” the official said.
“The raid is part of our routine vigilance drive to check the doping menace,” he said.
More such raids in various SAI centres across India are expected.
Hostels of athletes, officials and coaches were also searched in Bangalore Wednesday.
Banned drugs were found from the room of a weightlifting coach at the South Centre, Bangalore, and he was subsequently removed while a junior weightlifter, who had allegedly asked the coach to store the medicines, was asked to leave the campus.
NIS has been in the limelight since eight Indian athletes failed dope tests. Majority of the athletes trained at the SAI centre.
Sports Minister Ajay Maken has ordered an inquiry into the doping scandal by former Punjab and Haryana High Court chief justice Mukul Mudgal. The role of coaches, support staff and the athletics federation will also be looked into.
Six of the athletes trained in Patiala. Mandeep Kaur, Sini Jose and Ashwini Akkunji, who were part of the 4×400m relay team that won the gold in the CWG and Asian Games last year, and three other quarter-milers Jauna Murmu, Tiana Mary Thomas and Priyanka Pawar
trained under Ukraine coach Yuri Ogorodnik, who has been sacked.
- Anti-doping agency collects 91 samples at Bangalore camp - Jul 12, 2011
- NADA conducts surprise check in Bhopal - Jul 16, 2011
- Doping mess: Punjab suspends drug controller - Jul 07, 2011
- NADA conducts surprise raid at NIS, Patiala - Jul 09, 2011
- SAI cracks the whip on coaches at NIS Patiala (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Four NIS officials removed, NADA to test food supplements (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Whistle-blower doctor assaulted at NIS-Patiala, files complaint (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Whistle-blower doctor assaulted at NIS-Patiala - Jul 13, 2011
- Foreign athletics coach sacked, doping scandal to be probed - Jul 05, 2011
- I've been set-up in doping scandal: Ogorodnik - Jul 08, 2011
- Doping scandal: Ukrainian coach sacked, minister orders probe (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Ukraine coach blames contaminated food supplements for doping mess (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- My life under threat: whistleblower doctor in doping scandal - Jul 14, 2011
- SAI notice to coaches, doctor at NIS Patiala - Jul 07, 2011
- Doping scandal to haunt India for long - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: ajay maken, ashwini, asian games, centre sports, dope tests, indian athletes, mandeep kaur, mary thomas, member team, mukul, nada, priyanka, punjab and haryana high court, quarter milers, relay team, sai centre, sai centres, surprise raid, weightlifter, weightlifting coach