NADA conducts surprise check in BhopalJuly 16th, 2011 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) The National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) Saturday conducted a surprise check at the Sports Authority of India centre in Bhopal.
NADA had already conducted search operations in Bangalore and Patiala following the positive tests of eight Indian athletes that has led to allegations of systemic doping.
The team reached Bhopal in the morning, searched the rooms and also collected urine samples.
“NADA send a team of officers from Delhi and Bhopal headed by Mr. Manpal Singh and included two technical officers and two lady Doping Control Officers to conduct surprise check in SAI Bhopal,” NADA director general Rahul Bhatnagar said.
They collected 25 urine samples from sportsperson of various discipline.
Food supplements and other medicines found in rooms were also taken for testing.
NADA conducted surprise check at the Bangalore SAI Centre on July 6 and then three days later at National Institute of Sports, Patiala.
A weightlifting coach was removed and a junior weightlifter was asked to leave the Bangalore SAI campus after some banned drugs were found from one of the rooms.
They conducted a second search operation in Bangalore Monday and collected blood and urine samples of 91 athletes and checked medicine and food supplements.
Six of the athletes who tested positive trained in Patiala. Mandeep Kaur, Sini Jose and Ashwini Akkunji, who were part of the 4×400m relay team that won the gold in the CWG and Asian Games last year, and three other quarter-milers Jauna Murmu, Tiana Mary Thomas and Priyanka Pawar trained under Ukrainian coach Yuri Ogorodnik, who has been sacked.
Sports Minister Ajay Maken has ordered an inquiry into the doping scandal by former Punjab and Haryana High Court chief justice Mukul Mudgal.
- NADA conducts surprise raid at NIS, Patiala (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Anti-doping agency collects 91 samples at Bangalore camp - Jul 12, 2011
- SAI cracks the whip on coaches at NIS Patiala (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Three athletes fail dope test - Oct 11, 2011
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- Four NIS officials removed, NADA to test food supplements (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- NADA conducts surprise raid at NIS, Patiala - Jul 09, 2011
- Ukraine coach blames contaminated food supplements for doping mess (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- I've been set-up in doping scandal: Ogorodnik - Jul 08, 2011
- SAI notice to coaches, doctor at NIS Patiala - Jul 07, 2011
- I'm innocent, want to leave India: Ukrainian coach (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2011
- Doping scandal to haunt India for long - Jul 10, 2011
- I am innocent, says Ashwini Akkunji - Jul 07, 2011
- Doping mess: Punjab suspends drug controller - Jul 07, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini joins dope-tainted stars (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: ajay maken, ashwini, asian games, bhatnagar, food supplements, india centre, indian athletes, mandeep kaur, mary thomas, mukul, patiala, punjab and haryana high court, quarter milers, sai centre, search operation, search operations, sports authority, sportsperson, weightlifter, weightlifting coach