N-Deal - sooner the better, says KakodkarJuly 4th, 2008 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, July 4 (IANS) Atomic energy commission chairman Anil Kakodkar Friday strongly supported the India-US civilian nuclear deal and said the sooner the nuclear safeguard agreement with IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) is wrapped up the better. “History will not forgive us if we do not harness nuclear technology,” Kakodkar told IANS on the sidelines of a function at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) here.
“Going to IAEA to sign the nuclear safeguards agreement, sooner the better for wrapping up the deal by this year-end,” he said.
“I will not answer any political question,” he said when asked for his reaction to the political developments over the deal.
“We need nuclear energy. The uranium resources we have can only meet (power generation) up to 10,000 mw.
“We need uranium. We need nuclear technology,” Kakodkar said. “Our reactors are operating at 50 to 55 percent due to mismatch between uranium supply and need. Earlier we were operating reactors at 70 to 80 percent.
“We need to augment supply from abroad till we mine our uranium reserves,” he said.
Kakodkar earlier delivered a lecture on ‘Evolving Indian Nuclear programme: Rationale and perspectives” that was organised by the Indian Academy of Sciences.
- As fuel supplies resume, India's nuclear power output up - Jan 11, 2010
- Sooner the nuclear deal is signed, the better: Kakodkar (Lead) - Jul 05, 2008
- With atomic regulator's nod, Kudankulam reactor being fuelled (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- IAEA chief Yukiya Amano to visit Mumbai, Kalpakkam - Jan 14, 2011
- Atomic regulator's nod for fuel loading at Kudankulam (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Kudankulam reactor may get one year operational licence - Sep 08, 2012
- Atomic regulatory team inspecting Kudankulam reactor - Sep 10, 2012
- Russian reactors at Kudankulam not under civil liability law: Official - Nov 14, 2011
- Major pre-fuel loading exercise over at Kudankulam - Sep 12, 2012
- Reprocessing nuclear fuel necessary for sustainable growth: Experts - Oct 14, 2010
- India's first fast breeder reactor to go critical early 2013 - Jan 21, 2012
- Atomic regulator gives fuel loading clearance for Kudankulam - Sep 21, 2012
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Exempting Russians from n-liability unacceptable: CPI - Sep 19, 2012
- Iran to speed up uranium enrichment - Jun 13, 2011