Mystery shrouds recovery of fetuses in Gujarat villageOctober 18th, 2008 - 12:14 am ICT by IANS
Palanpur(Gujarat), Oct 17 (IANS) Mystery shrouds the recovery of four fetuses wrapped in plastic bags from a village canal in Gujarat’s Banaskantha district.The police, who recovered the bags from a canal in Rasana village, 26 km from here and 140 km from Ahmedabad, were initially cagey about confirming the news until late Friday evening.
“Yes, we found four foetuses near Rasana,” U.R. Thakore, Police Inspector Deesa (Rural), told reporters.
K. S. Patel, Chief District Health officer (CDHO) of Banaskantha, also confirmed the news and said: “I came to know about the incident only when the block health officer of Deesa M.R. Jirani brought it to my notice.”
He said the recovered fetuses could be those abnormal ones that gynaecologists generally keep for display and later dispose off.
“These fetuses might have been thrown as biological waste. It does not look like a case of female foeticide,” the CDHO said, adding the doctor or person concerned does not seem to have followed the proper legal procedure of disposing off.
“At least the police should have been informed,” Patel added.
However, the police are tight-lipped about the incident and did not reveal the gender of the fetuses.
If their gender is identified as female, this could be a major blow to the state government’s much touted “Save Girl Child” campaign.
- Two cases of foeticide reported in north Gujarat - Feb 19, 2009
- Dengue scare in north Gujarat - Oct 25, 2008
- At least 2,000 dead fetuses found in Thai Buddhist temple - Nov 19, 2010
- Gujarat's distressed diamond workers now mull selling organs - Feb 16, 2009
- Mystery of dumped foetuses solved - Apr 21, 2010
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Four children die of food poisoning in Gujarat - Nov 21, 2008
- Gujarat town tense after communal clash - Oct 06, 2008
- 'Satyameva Jayate' inspires sarpanch to act against female foeticide - May 24, 2012
- CBI quizzes music producers in missing nurse case - Oct 25, 2011
- Dead Fetus Found In Etihad Airways Plane's Bathroom In Manila - Jan 05, 2011
- Call to upgrade 'toothless' Chinese laws to end epidemic of illegal gender tests - Nov 25, 2010
- More than 2000 fetuses found in a Buddhist temple - Nov 20, 2010
- Maharashtra moots murder charge for female foeticide - Jul 10, 2012
- Protests against MNIK fizzle out in Gujarat (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010