Mystery disease kills three more in Bihar (Lead)June 22nd, 2011 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 22 (IANS) Three more children have died of a mysterious disease in Bihar, taking the toll to 35, officials said Wednesday.
Two children died after contracting high fever followed by convulsions and unconsciousness in Muzaffarpur district late Tuesday while another died Wednesday.
Locals have termed the disease as “chamki ki bimari” and said the symptoms were similar to encephalitis — a disease that causes inflammation of the brain.
Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey said experts were in the process of identifying the disease and it was “not proper to term it encephalitis”.
Two expert teams — one from Pune-based National Institute of Virology and another from the union health ministry — visited a hospital in Muzaffarpur Tuesday where dozens of children are undergoing treatment.
“Both teams, along with local health officials, will also visit the villages where the children have died,” Gopal Shankar Shahni, a doctor at the Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (SKMCH) in Muzaffarpur, told IANS on telephone.
Principal Secretary (Health) Amarjeet Sinha said the experts would also collect samples of animals to identify the cause of the disease.
Over three dozen children are being treated in hospitals in Muzaffarpur, Motihari and Patna.
- Mystery disease kills two more in Bihar - Jun 22, 2011
- Bihar's mystery disease identified as toll rises to 41 - Jun 23, 2011
- WHO experts investigate Bihar's mystery disease - Jun 24, 2011
- Mystery disease kills four more in Bihar - Jun 21, 2011
- Five more children die of mystery disease in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- Mystery disease kills four more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Mystery disease kills eight more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Seven more children die of mysterious illness in Bihar - Jun 19, 2011
- Mysterious disease kills 13 children in Bihar - Jun 18, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
- Killer disease is not Japanese encephalitis - Jun 28, 2012
- 12 children die of mysterious disease in Bihar - Jun 09, 2010
- Twenty children die of mysterious illness in Bihar - Jun 11, 2010
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- Bihar's mystery disease is acute encephalitis syndrome: minister - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: ashwani, bimari, brain health, encephalitis, expert teams, health minister, health ministry, health officials, high fever, inflammation of the brain, local health, motihari, mysterious disease, mystery disease, national institute of virology, principal secretary, shankar, sinha, sri krishna, undergoing treatment