Mysterious person stopped minor’s wedding in Tamil NaduSeptember 6th, 2010 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 6 (IANS) Even as officials of Krishnagiri district heaved a sigh of relief after stopping a minor’s marriage to a man twice her age Sunday, they are baffled about the identity of the person who faxed them the complaint.
The wedding ceremony of 15-year-old Muniammal to 32-year-old Sundaram was stopped moments before it was to take place after district collector V. Arun Roy got a complaint along with the marriage invitation, which were also faxed to the Chief Minister’s cell.
“The girl studying in class XI has categorically denied that she faxed the petition to stop the wedding. She said she hadn’t moved out of her house nor had she been to her school for the last eight days,” Tehsildar P.M. Rajagopal told IANS.
“Given her family background and their condition, it is doubtful whether the girl would have faxed the petition,” he added.
Speaking to IANS, Additional Collector Noor Mohammed said: “The Chief Minister’s cell has forwarded the complaint to our office. The fax seems to be from a public call booth.”
In the faxed complaint, Muniammal pleaded for district collector’s intervention to stop the marriage and she wished to pursue her studies and become a school teacher. Ironically, India was celebrating Sunday - Sep 5 - as Teachers’ Day.
According to Rajagopal, a team of officials including Noor Mohammed went to Murugan temple at Ammaneri near Kooliyam and told the girl’s parents that marrying off a minor girl is illegal.
They also obtained an assurance from them that Muniammal will not be married off before the permissible age and be allowed to continue her studies.
The officials also told the groom to drop the plan of marrying a minor girl or face action.
According to Rajagopal, village officials have been asked to keep an eye on weddings and ensure that no minor girl is married off by her parents.
- Wedding wows! 120-year-old man marries 60-year-old - Oct 28, 2011
- Five Bengal girls fight child marriages - Dec 31, 2011
- Minor girl in Odisha protests against forced marriage - Jul 24, 2012
- Minor basketball player saved from marriage - Jul 06, 2011
- First wife dead, teenager was about to be married again - Apr 26, 2011
- Girl goes to police against father - Mar 05, 2012
- Child marriage prevented in Haryana - Nov 30, 2010
- Minor resists marriage, gets father arrested in Odisha - Jul 26, 2012
- Delhi court asks police to protect blind man from ex-wife - Jun 27, 2012
- Six Rajasthan officials injured trying to stop child marriages - Apr 21, 2012
- Indian Muslims split over wedding age ruling - Jun 08, 2012
- Honour killing: 25-year old man killed in Punjab - Apr 16, 2012
- Raped maid rescued in Gurgaon - Apr 20, 2012
- Six-year-old Pakistani girl rescued from wedding venue - Nov 30, 2010
- Forced to marry rapist, girl kills self - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: arun, chennai, chief minister, class xi, eight days, face action, family background, marriage, marriage invitation, mohammed, mysterious person, petition, rajagopal, school teacher, sigh of relief, sundaram, teachers day, village officials, wedding ceremony, weddings