Myanmar tightens control of media: WatchdogJune 30th, 2012 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Yangon, June 30 (IANS) Myanmar is tightening restrictions on the press following its coverage of the unrest in the country, a media watchdog has said.
The government has reacted in a manner to “what it regards as the excessive liberties the media are taking”, Mizzima News quoted the Reporters Without Borders as saying.
It does not know how to assist the media in the new, rapidly emerging political and economic environment, the watchdog said Friday.
Myanmar’s Rakhine state was hit by ethnic unrest last month.
“Modernization and liberalization of the media are preconditions for its (Myanmar’s) democratization,” it said.
The group said the domestic and international media have been subjected to pressure by the government for its coverage of the sectarian unrest, including attacks on reporters.
The government has initiated a legal action against the weekly Snapshot journal for publishing a photo of a woman who was raped and murdered in the state in May.
The group urged that the legal action against the journal should be dropped and the suspension of its publishing license be revoked.
- Myanmar planning population census - May 03, 2012
- State of emergency in Myanmar state - Jun 11, 2012
- UN aid workers detained in Myanmar - Jul 07, 2012
- 60 percent Myanmarese in favour of Suu Kyi's party: Survey - Mar 31, 2012
- Pakistani Taliban threatens Myanmar over Muslim attacks - Jul 26, 2012
- UN chief hails Myanmar panel to probe violence - Aug 18, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Myanmar's Rakhine state - Jun 10, 2012
- Japan, Myanmar open trade talks - May 27, 2012
- 13 more die in fresh Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- Myanmar floats currency exchange rate - Apr 02, 2012
- 'Myanmar can become top rice exporter' - Feb 02, 2012
- China backs Myanmar peace efforts - Jun 12, 2012
- Myanmar: An isolated nation opens up - May 26, 2012
- Myanmar seeks NGO help in relief missions - May 03, 2012
- Ban ki-Moon urges Myanmar rebels to join peace process - May 19, 2012