Myanmar planning population censusMay 3rd, 2012 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
Yangon, May 3 (IANS) Myanmar Thursday organised a conference in collaboration with the UN Population Fund for undertaking a population census in 2014.
Officials of the National Commission on Population and Development, the UN Population Fund and the lawmakers attended, Mizzima News reported.
A successful census will require “broad and effective partnership” involving the government, parliamentarians and the civil society, Khin Yi, chairperson of the National Population and Development Commission, told the meeting.
The meeting discussed, among others, the questionnaire for the census, coverage area, the government and media support.
Myanmar last held its population census in 1983.
- UN to provide $144 mn aid to Myanmar - May 18, 2012
- UN to help Myanmar conduct population census - Mar 04, 2012
- Myanmar president meets UN chief - Apr 30, 2012
- Clinton arrives in Myanmar for first official visit - Nov 30, 2011
- Suu Kyi wants word changed in oath - Apr 19, 2012
- UN chief meets Suu Kyi - May 01, 2012
- Australia to double Myanmar aid - Jun 10, 2012
- France, Myanmar hold talks - Jan 16, 2012
- Aid appeal to combat HIV/AIDS in Myanmar - Dec 06, 2011
- Hague praises Myanmar reforms - Jan 06, 2012
- Krishna wraps up Myanmar engagement; focus on capacity building (Roudnup) - Jun 22, 2011
- French foreign minister visits Myanmar - Jan 15, 2012
- Japan, Myanmar open trade talks - May 27, 2012
- NHRC seeks solution on Mayanmarese asylum seekers - May 25, 2012
- Myanmar promotes healthy diet, breastfeeding - Aug 02, 2011