‘My wife was sold by traffickers’April 26th, 2008 - 6:10 pm ICT by admin
Raipur, April 26 (IANS) A police team has been sent from Chhattisgarh to Haryana after a man said his wife had been sold there by human traffickers, an official said Saturday. Makhanlal Nishad, 23, a resident of Mahasamund district’s Pithora village, told the police at the state capital here that his wife Ranjeeta was sold to Ashok Yadav in Khumra village in Haryana for Rs.80,000 after the couple was lured to the state by agents who promised them jobs.
Amit Kumar, Raipur district superintendent of police, said Saturday that a police team is going to Haryana to find if there was any truth in Nishad’s claims.
“A police team is on its way to Haryana and will go to other states as well if required. However, we have no evidence that Nishad was ever married to Ranjeeta. In fact, she had filed a case of kidnapping and rape against Nishad two years ago,” Kumar told IANS.
Nishad told the police that he and Ranjeeta were in love and had married. They wanted to go to a city and earn money and the agents took advantage of them.
According to him, they kept him and Ranjeeta in separate rooms in Khumra village in Haryana. She was later forced to marry Yadav, a middle aged man. Yadav allegedly asked Nishad to collect Rs.80,000 from the agent since his wife had been sold.
- Woman doctor held for chopping off new-born's hands - Jul 22, 2010
- IFS woman's inter-caste marriage puts family under threat - Nov 02, 2011
- Man kills son for refusing to beg - Aug 23, 2010
- Man held with explosives in Chhattisgarh - Jun 14, 2011
- Half of Chhattisgarh's diamond belt in Maoist strongholds - Aug 02, 2010
- Three held for plotting to kill legislator - Sep 01, 2010
- Court declines man's plea on marriage with lover - Jun 25, 2012
- Cuckolded husband kills three minors in revenge - Feb 13, 2011
- Blackmailing drives youth to suicide - Feb 14, 2011
- Man held for burying alive wife, three others - Jan 22, 2012
- Bihar village in gloom as Anna supporter succumbs to burns - Aug 29, 2011
- Two civilians killed by police in shootout with Maoists - Oct 11, 2010
- New Zealand police in Fiji for Indian origin woman's death case - Jan 26, 2011
- Half of Chhattisgarh's diamond belt in Maoist strongholds (Lead) - Aug 02, 2010
- Monsoon brings natives back to Chhattisgarh soil - Jun 21, 2008