My brother was not happy with the plane: sister of deceased pilotOctober 30th, 2008 - 3:30 pm ICT by IANS
Panchkula (Haryana), Oct 30 (IANS) Sister of one of the pilots who died Wednesday in a plane crash in Punjab said that her brother had told her that the plane was in bad condition and could crash any day. Dalip Kataria and Manjit Singh Khokhar died Wednesday when a six-seater aircraft of the Punjab government crashed while landing at the Sahnewal Airport near Ludhiana town in Punjab.
“My brother was not at all satisfied with the condition of the plane. He said that the condition of the plane was so bad that it could crash any day. He was not even paid his salary for the last month,” said Narender Kaur, sister of Khokhar.
Khokhar had worked as a pilot in the US for 18 years before coming back to India last year.
He was also running a nightclub in the US during his stay there.
Khokhar had joined the Punjab government as a pilot just a few months ago. Family members and friends of the Khokhar family were in shock with the sudden news of his demise.
“He had returned to Panchkula from Mumbai only Tuesday afternoon. He called all his friends in the evening to give them Diwali wishes. He also talked to our father Wednesday morning,” Kaur said.
Khokhar’s father Buta Singh lives in Ratia village near Hisar town in Haryana. Khokhar’s body has been taken to Ratia for cremation which will be held Thursday.
Khokhar is survived by two teenage daughters who live with their mother in Chandigarh, around 10 km from here.
He was divorced from his wife and lived in Panchkula town with his sister.
“My father called me Tuesday and promised to take us out for dinner once he returned to Chandigarh. He advised me to concentrate on my studies,” said Niharika, Khokhar’s elder daughter.
The state government Wednesday announced a grant of Rs.1 million each for the families of the pilots killed in the crash and said that state honour will be given to them during their funeral.
- Killed pilot was unhappy with plane: sister (Lead) - Oct 30, 2008
- Thousands attend Surinder Badal's cremation - May 25, 2011
- Haryana bypolls campaigning ends, voting Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Nearly 79 percent polling in Haryana bypolls - Nov 30, 2011
- Sabotage ruled out as Punjab plane crash probe begins - Oct 30, 2008
- Haryana town hit by Hepatitis-C - Feb 21, 2012
- Kidnapper duo arrested in Haryana - Nov 17, 2010
- Bypolls for two Haryana assembly seats Nov 30 - Nov 01, 2011
- Nine killed as air ambulance crashes near Delhi (Second Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- A Rs.300 crore 'Thank You' from Hooda! (Haryana Newsletter) - Dec 18, 2011
- 10 killed as air ambulance crashes near Delhi (Fourth Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Man held for planning to attack Advani - Nov 17, 2011
- Rathore's parole plea rejected - Sep 04, 2010
- Centre stays Rajoana hanging, Punjab leaders welcome it (Roundup) - Mar 28, 2012