My aim is to reach top 15: KashyapAugust 29th, 2012 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) Parupalli Kashyap, the first Indian shuttler to reach the quarter-finals of the Olympic Games, now aims to break into top-15 of world badminton.
Kashyap, who lost his quarter-final match to World No.1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, Wednesday was honoured with the Arjuna Award.
Kashyap said the award will stand in good stead for him.
“I’ll be going to China and Japan in September and my goal is to reach the top 15 in the world. I want to participate in the Super Series events but for that I would have to be in the top eight, that is a bit difficult,” Kashyap said after receiving the Arjuna Award from President Pranab Mukherjee.
Kashyap said Saina Nehwal, who won bronze in London Olympic Games, had inspired him to take on the Chinese domination head on.
“The coach (Pullela Gopichand) and Saina have inspired me a lot. She has paved the way for taking on the Chinese. My whole outlook on them has changed and I am not scared of taking them on now,” he said.
“The competition is more open now, the Chinese still dominate but the gap to other countries has reduced.”
The World No.19 said he had to improve his fitness to reach the top of the rankings.
“I have lacked fitness and fade away towards the end of a match, I have to work on that. Also have to work on my tactical game.”
Kashyap felt that the sport required more funding to grow and for it to reach the top level.
“More funding is required for Indian badminton to reach the level where China is today. More juniors in the circuit and just the number of players would take the sport to the next level.”
- Saina would have won anyway: Gopichand - Aug 04, 2012
- Kashyap smashes his way into Indonesia Open semis (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- I can hope and try, not predict: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Jul 16, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina creates history; Kasyhap's dream run ends (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Saina, Kashyap storm into semis (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- I want to be World No.1 shuttler, says Hyderabadi Sindhu (Interview) - Jul 19, 2012
- Olympics: Saina first Indian shuttler in semis, Paes-Sania advance (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Chinese will be tough to beat at Olympics: Saina Nehwal (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Saina has time to be at her best before Olympics: Gopichand - Dec 03, 2011
- Saina carrying India's hopes at World Badminton in London - Aug 07, 2011
- Not going to London to make up numbers: Kashyap - Apr 28, 2012
- I was lucky to qualify for the Olympics: Kashyap (Interview) - Jul 24, 2012
- Getting the hang of Chinese at the right time: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Mar 25, 2012
Tags: aim, arjuna award, china, chinese domination, coach, final match, fitness, gap, gopichand, juniors, kashyap, lee chong wei, New Delhi, next level, olympic games, pranab mukherjee, quarter finals, stead, tactical game, world badminton