Muslims protest question on prophet in history examMay 1st, 2008 - 6:34 pm ICT by admin
Ranchi, May 1 (IANS) The University of Ranchi Thursday hurriedly cancelled its post-graduation history paper after thousands of Muslims took to the streets protesting against a reference to Prophet Mohammed they said was derogatory. “A five-member committee has been constituted (to probe) the question paper. The examination has been cancelled,” Vice Chancellor A.H. Khan announced, shortly after his meeting with Chief Minister Madhu Koda.
The question in the history paper referred to Prophet Mohammed’s life. The examination took place Wednesday.
On Thursday, Muslim organisations organised a march and ransacked the university office to protest against the offending question. The police used force to control the mob.
The university then held an emergency meeting of its top officials.
Chief Minister Koda said: “We have asked the vice chancellor to probe the matter and take suitable action against the person who prepared the question. We appeal to people to maintain calm.”
- Police complaint filed in Goa medical paper leak - Jan 03, 2011
- 'Personal reasons may have driven Dana to suicide' (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Goa college cancels two papers after MBBS exam leak - Jan 03, 2011
- Students protests get intense at Agra University - Dec 23, 2011
- Shiv Sena demands suspension of Mumbai University VC - Mar 30, 2012
- Don't allow Rushdie in India: Deoband vice chancellor - Jan 09, 2012
- 'Black farce' says Rushdie as shut out of Jaipur even via videolink (Intro Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Rushdie shut out of Jaipur, even via videolink (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Rushdie's Jaipur visit under cloud (Second Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Rushdie's Jaipur visit under cloud (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Why should we be banned, asks Kerala Muslim leader - Jul 14, 2010
- Ramayana controversy: India's pluralism under threat again (Comment) - Oct 29, 2011
- Teacher held for inflammatory question paper - Apr 02, 2010
- Now Pranab, Omar drop out of conclave - Mar 17, 2012
- Amity students hold candlelight vigil for Dana Sangma - Apr 27, 2012