Muslims in Kerala celebrate Bakr-EidDecember 8th, 2008 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 8 (IANS) Muslims in Kerala Monday offered prayers at mosques and specially erected prayer centres across the state on the occasion of Bakr-Eid.Monday is a public holiday in the state and Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan offered his Bakr-Eid wishes to the people of the state.
Bakr-Eid commemorates Prophet Ibrahim’s willingness to sacrifice his beloved son Ismail on god’s command.
According to a Muslim belief, Allah wanted to test Ibrahim’s faith and commanded him to sacrifice his son. Ibrahim agreed to do it but considering what a difficult task it was, he blindfolded himself before putting Ismail on the altar at the mount of Mina near Makkah.
When he removed his blindfold after performing the act, he saw his son standing in front of him, alive. On the altar lay a slaughtered lamb instead. Sacrificing goats on Bakr-Eid is, therefore, in commemoration of that incident.
The sacrificial meat is distributed after the Eid prayers to the family and friends.
“In the mosque that we go to, we collected money from the members and purchased 11 buffaloes. Immediately after morning prayers, the animals were sacrificed and the meat was distributed among those who came for prayers and to all those who live near the mosque,” said Ramshad, a devout Muslim in Kottayam.
Since Sunday evening, there were huge crowds in front of meat stalls all across the state and prices touched Rs.210 per kg.
Muslims in Kerala are 24 percent of the state’s 32 million population.
- Be it Mammootty or common Muslims, Eid-ul-Azha touches all - Nov 17, 2010
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Prayers mark Eid in India, but clashes in Kashmir (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- In Hyderabad, faithful throng Mir Alam Eidgah, Mecca Masjid - Nov 17, 2010
- Muslims in Kerala celebrate Bakr Eid - Nov 27, 2009
- Delhi celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha - Nov 28, 2009
- Kerala Muslims celebrate Eid - Nov 07, 2011
- Prayers, sacrifice on Eid-ul-Zuha in Andhra Pradesh - Nov 07, 2011
- Jama Masjid packed on Eid, spirit of sacrifice reigns - Nov 07, 2011
- Making sacrifices, feeding poor, Indian Muslims mark Eid-ul-Azha (Roundup) - Nov 17, 2010
- Pakistan celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha - Nov 07, 2011
- Amid rain, Kashmiris hit shopping high for Eid - Nov 05, 2011
- Praying, feeding poor, Lucknow Muslims mark Eid-ul-Azha - Nov 17, 2010
- India celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha with spirit of sacrifice (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2009
- Mumbai celebrates spirit of sacrifice on Eid - Nov 07, 2011