Muslims, Dalits should get equal rights: RamdevMay 12th, 2012 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 12 (IANS) Yoga guru Baba Ramdev, slamming the government Saturday, said he supported Muslims in their demand for amending Article 341 of the Indian constitution that excludes them and Christian Dalits from reservation.
“I did not know till recently that Article 341 does not cover Muslims and Christian Dalits. This is not fair. A Dalit is a Dalit — whether he is a Hindu, Christian or a Muslim,” Ramdev said here.
He was speaking at a conference on ‘Basic Issues’ organised by former parliamentarian Ilyas Azmi’s All India United Muslim Morcha at the India Islamic Cultural Centre.
“All Dalits should get equal rights. We will have to struggle to achieve this. We will launch a struggle and stand along (with them) in this fight,” he said.
The yoga guru will launch June 3 a series of protests against the government demanding that it back black money stashed away in foreign countries.
Attacking the government for not caring about the basic rights of Muslims, he said his orientation towards the minority community is “nothing new”.
“We are with our Muslim brothers and sisters. My ashram has more than 3,000 Muslims. We have no religion there, nor any (political) party, temple or mosque,” he said.
- 'Ramdev not close to RSS' - Apr 13, 2012
- Congress caused loss of Rs.200 lakh crore, says Ramdev - Sep 01, 2012
- Our strategy needs to change: Ramdev - Aug 11, 2012
- Hazare to support Ramdev's Aug 9 protest - Jul 17, 2012
- Ramdev says campaign will continue, reaches Haridwar (Third Lead, Changing Dateline) - Jun 14, 2011
- Ramdev stable, say doctors - Jun 10, 2011
- Ramdev to continue fast, gives deadline to PM - Aug 12, 2012
- Ramdev supporters to continue protests against graft - Jun 12, 2011
- Ramdev may be force-fed - Jun 09, 2011
- Ramdev to continue fast, gives Monday deadline to PM (lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Government agrees to my demands, but fast on: Ramdev - Jun 04, 2011
- Hazare's agitation will benefit future generations: Ramdev - Aug 24, 2011
- Baba Ramdev asks PM to act on black money (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Digvijay attacks Ramdev's 'drama' - Jun 12, 2011
- Ramdev remark angers MPs (Lead) - May 02, 2012
Tags: ashram, azmi, baba ramdev, black money, brothers and sisters, dalit, dalits, foreign countries, hindu, indian constitution, islamic cultural centre, june 3, minority community, mosque, muslim brothers, muslims, New Delhi, parliamentarian, party temple, yoga guru