Muslim groups to protest against textbook in KeralaJuly 3rd, 2008 - 12:15 am ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, July 2 (IANS) A coordination committee of various Muslim organisations in Kerala Wednesday decided to go ahead with the plan to launch an agitation for the withdrawal of a controversial class VII social studies textbook. P.K. Kunhalikutty, state general secretary of the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML), said the government decision Wednesday to constitute an 18-member expert team to study the controversial textbook and the school curriculum reforms in the state will not deter them from the agitation.
The organisations are opposing the textbook, alleging that it is anti-religious and distorts history favouring the communists. The book was introduced by the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) led Left Democratic Front (LDF) government this academic year.
“Since a committee has been formed to study the textbook, the government should stop teaching the controversial portions till the committee comes out with its report,” said Kunhalikutty.
He said the Muslim organisations will hold a rally here July 5 and formally declare the agitation programme.
Kunhalikutty said the Muslim organisations are holding talks with Christian leadership at various levels to launch a joint agitation against the government over the issue.
The opposition Congress party, which led a series of agitations demanding the withdrawal of the textbook, expressed its doubts over the credibility of the expert team.
Party state president Ramesh Chennithala alleged in Thiruvananthapuram that the government decision to make historian K.N. Panikkar, a Marxist, the chairman of the team is mala fide.
- Muslim groups urge joint stir against 'anti-religious' textbook - Jun 28, 2008
- Kerala Muslim groups to continue anti-textbook stir - Jul 10, 2008
- Kerala UDF constituencts call truce - Apr 22, 2012
- Kerala Left front hits back at opposition with Kozhikode sex case - Jan 29, 2011
- Jamaat-e-Islami to withdraw from textbook agitation in Kerala - Jul 26, 2008
- People like me more now: Kunhalikutty - Mar 13, 2011
- Sex scandal case review plan a conspiracy: E. Ahamed - Jan 31, 2011
- IUML becomes second-biggest party in UDF - May 13, 2011
- Sex case probe: Achuthanandan told to appear in court - Jun 19, 2012
- We will win 100 seats: Oommen Chandy (Interview) - Mar 03, 2011
- IUML demands withdrawal of textbooks for extra reading - Jul 19, 2008
- Tension within the ranks haunt UDF and LDF too (Kerala Newsletter) - Aug 17, 2012
- 'Catholic priests, Muslim groups pushing extremism in Kerala' - Jun 04, 2010
- CPI-M getting jittery over Kerala murder probe: Congress - May 21, 2012
- Antony's Rajya Sabha election in doubt as IUML eyes seat - Mar 04, 2010