Muslim couple shot at for marrying without approvalApril 21st, 2008 - 11:28 pm ICT by admin
Ghaziabad, April 21 (IANS) A young Muslim couple was shot at and seriously injured by villagers here Monday in apparent revenge for their marrying against the approval of orthodox elders. Shahnawaz, a cab operator, and Nazrana, residents of the Kallugarhi locality under Mussoorie police station of Ghaziabad, had fallen in love last year and wished to marry. However, the orthodox village elders refused permission. Defying their diktat, the couple married at a Ghaziabad court last year and left the village and started living in a rented house in the city.
Thinking that the people would have forgiven them, the couple decided to visit their village home again Sunday night. They were spotted by the villagers while leaving the house early Monday and shot at. Nazrana’s brother was among the men who fired.
Nazrana was hit in the right arm and Shahnawaz in the abdomen. The couple, who were on a motorcyle, did not stop and reached the highway. They were chased by more assailants on a Maruti car. They managed to save their lives by leaving their motorcyle and hiding inside a storm water drain.
The injured couple managed to reach the hospital.
Shahnawaz told IANS: “As we started our motorcycle and moved about 50 meters, Harun, the brother of Nazrana along with some young men, opened fire on us. When they failed to stop us, they told their accomplices, who were on a car to chase us on the highway. We saved our lives by leaving the motorcycle along the road and took shelter under a drain. They failed to notice us and moved on. When they had left, we reached the toll tax barrier and the staff there took us to a Raj Nagar-based Palmolive hospital.”
The doctor attending on the couple said that they were recovering.
Circle Officer Pilkhuwa R.K. Gautam said that the Mussoorie police station staff were investigating the case on the basis of the memo sent by the hospital. “The criminals are absconding,” he said.
- Technology institute's guard guns down burglar - Dec 05, 2010
- Villagers lynch two dacoits - Jul 26, 2011
- Robbers loot passengers on Mussoorie Express - Jan 16, 2010
- Boy found semi-nude in girl's room lynched - Jul 19, 2010
- Two held for harassing women on train - Jul 03, 2011
- One killed, another injured in east Delhi accident - Mar 12, 2012
- Hooch toll rises to 44, six suppliers arrested (with Image) - Mar 05, 2010
- Child drowns in Ghaziabad drain - Jul 13, 2012
- Ghaziabad school near which child drowned shuts - Jul 14, 2012
- Notorious criminals arrested in Ghaziabad - Jun 17, 2012
- BSP workers protest over statue vandalisation - Jul 26, 2012
- Spurned lover kills four, self - Sep 03, 2012
- Mayawati pulls up officials during Noida, Ghaziabad trip - Feb 20, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in Ghaziabad accident - Mar 11, 2012
- Spurned lover kills four, self (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012