Muslim body backs CongressJanuary 18th, 2012 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Aligarh, Jan 18 (IANS) A Muslim body has urged people to vote for the Congress in the Uttar Pradesh elections, saying the party was best suited to pursue secular ideology.
The Aligarh-based Millat Bedari Muhim Committee (MBMC) gave the call after analysing the political situation in Uttar Pradesh, which will elect a new assembly next month.
MBMC president and Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) professor Razaullah Khan pointed out that the Congress always supported secular ideals and its leader Rahul Gandhi had done “commendable work” in Uttar Pradesh.
MBMC secretary Jasim Mohammad hailed the Congress-led central government for appointing the Sachar Committee to unearth the real causes of backwardness of Muslims, India’s largest religious minority.
Humayun Murad praised Congress-ruled states for maintaining peace. Syed Iqbal Ali, another professor, said that Congress should be supported so as to “defeat casteism, regionalism and communalism”.
MBMC spokesperson Fatima Zehra said the group will take out “Karvan-e-Bedari” from Ghazipur to Ghaziabad Jan 28-Feb 29 to appeal to the people, in particular Muslims, to vote for the Congress.
- Promote mother tongue, AMU academics say - Feb 21, 2012
- House Full in Aligarh - thanks to Rahul - Jul 08, 2011
- Boycott French goods over burqa ban, says group - Apr 13, 2011
- AMU alumni protest shelving of Bhopal centre - Jan 15, 2012
- Malaysia-India can enhance world economy: Minister - Nov 01, 2011
- No need for Muslims to fear in India, says Mahesh Bhatt - Oct 26, 2008
- Free innocent Muslims, say AMU students - Feb 05, 2011
- Separate AMU union for girls - Sep 02, 2012
- AMU lodges FIR against 27 for using unfair means - Jul 14, 2012
- Aligarh university closed after violence - Apr 30, 2011
- AMU may get Indo-US energy centre - Jun 22, 2011
- President's nod for AMU centres in Kerala, Bengal - May 06, 2010
- Rahul bats for student elections -- with Sibal (Second Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi meets Kapil Sibal over student union poll issue - Oct 30, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi meets Sibal over student union elections (Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
Tags: aligarh muslim university, amu, backwardness, casteism, central government, communalism, fatima zehra, feb 29, ghazipur, iqbal, jan 28, jasim, mbmc, mohammad, political situation, rahul gandhi, regionalism, religious minority, secular ideology, uttar pradesh elections