Mushtaq backs Afridi as future Pakistan captainOctober 4th, 2008 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Oct 4 (IANS) Pakistan cricket officials are under immense pressure to replace current skipper Shoaib Malik with a more aggressive captain ahead of the crunch home series against India in January.Former Pakistan leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed is the latest to join the bandwagon and has expressed his support for seasoned all-rounder Shahid Afridi as the new Pakistan captain.
Mushtaq is of the view that Afridi would make a better captain than Malik for the Pakistan team.
“Leadership is all about the ability to make tough decisions and man management, I think Afridi has good skills in those areas,” Mushtaq said in an interview Saturday.
“Leadership isn’t about winning the game for your team. It’s about influencing others and having their confidence in your decisions.
“It’s nice to have a captain who leads from the front but your best player does not necessarily make the best captain,” he said.
Malik, 26, was appointed Pakistan captain after the team’s humiliating first round exit from the 2007 World Cup. Since then he has been mostly criticised for failing to inspire his team which suffered Test defeats against South Africa and India last year.
The Sialkot-born all-rounder drew flak from former Pakistan Test stars after his team failed to make the final of the Asia Cup on home soil earlier this year.
Appointed for a two-year period by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Malik’s stint is set to be over this December.
Many ex-Test cricketers have backed middle-order batsman Misbah-ul-Haq as the next Pakistan captain but former players like Moin Khan and Mushtaq believe that Afridi would be a better choice.
“I would always go with a senior player as captain,” said Mushtaq.
“Younis (Khan) initially refused the job, but I heard afterwards he changed his mind. Anyway they still had Yousuf and Afridi. After Younis they were the best two players to become captain,” Mushtaq concluded.
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- Malik hopeful of return to national team - May 04, 2011
- Former Pakistan players hail selection of Younis, Malik - May 26, 2010
- Mushtaq wants aggressive Afridi to be made Pak captain - Oct 05, 2008
- Afridi wants former skipper Younis Khan to be his deputy - May 27, 2010
- 'Chastened' Afridi aims to consign Pak bed-bug 'team conspiracies' to history - May 26, 2010
- Misbah replaces Afridi for Ireland ODI series - May 19, 2011
- Afridi warns World Cup teams not to underestimate "hungry" Pak in tournament - Feb 12, 2011
- Malik recalled to Pakistan squad for Zimbabwe tour - Aug 21, 2011
- Afridi desperate to improve batting after daughter's taunt - Apr 08, 2011
- Afridi says will have zero tolerance to politics ruining dressing room's atmosphere - May 28, 2010
- Afridi wanted Shoaib Malik, not Younis Khan - Oct 21, 2010
- Moin slams 'egoistic' PCB boss Butt, chief selector for ignoring Younis - Aug 26, 2010
- Malik selection after he assured Afridi to transform himself - Jun 04, 2010
- Mohsin says he can get along with skipper Misbah - Oct 06, 2011