Musharraf says Osama raid was technically an act of warMay 25th, 2011 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 25 (IANS) The US raid to take out Osama bin Laden was technically “an act of war”, said former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf, who described as “arrogance” US President Barack Obama’s statement that he would order another raid if required.
Osama was gunned down May 2 by US commandos who stormed the Al Qaeda leader’s hideout in Pakistan’s Abbottabad city. The US said it had carried out a unilateral assault.
Musharraf told CNN: “No country has a right to intrude into any other country.”
“Actually, technically, legally, you see it, it’s an act of war. So I think it is an irresponsible statement, and I think such arrogance should not be shown, publicly, to the world.”
Explaining the “act of war”, Musharraf, who ruled Pakistan for nine years after seizing power in a bloodless coup in 1999, said: “Theoretically, technically, yes indeed, it’s an act of war.”
He, however, added it wouldn’t necessarily signal a war.
“How to deal with it is the question, and I leave it to the government there to how they want to deal with it.”
Obama has said he would order another raid like the one which killed Osama if Islamabad did not act on threats developing in the country towards the US or its allies.
Soon after Osama was killed deep inside Pakistan, Musharraf had admitted that he was embarrassed.
Musharraf had said that the Pakistan Army and the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) could not be blamed for the “slip-up” that saw Osama residing in Abbottabad.
“Yes, I was embarrassed,” said Musharraf.
- Yes, I was embarrassed: Musharraf on Osama in Pakistan - May 07, 2011
- Osama affair embarrassing, I may have apologized: Musharraf (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- I would have apologised for Abbottabad: Musharraf (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- US, Pakistan struck deal on Osama raid in 2001 - May 10, 2011
- Pakistan accepts intelligence failure on Osama - May 09, 2011
- Unilateral acts not acceptable, Gilani on Osama killing - May 30, 2011
- US promises not to repeat Osama raid: Gilani - Jul 22, 2011
- Did Pakistan know of US raid to kill Osama? - May 02, 2011
- Gilani blows hot and cold at US over Osama affair (Lead) - May 09, 2011
- Musharraf knew about Osama hideout: Ex-ISI chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Osama raid: US had warned Pakistan of unilateral action - May 09, 2011
- Confusion persists on Pakistan role in Osama killing (Second Lead) - May 03, 2011
- US to respect Pakistani's sovereignty: ISI chief - Jul 17, 2011
- US raid an attack on sovereignty: Pakistan Senate - May 05, 2011
- No more Abbottabad-like incidents, Gilani tells US - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, act of war, al qaeda, allies, arrogance, barack obama, bloodless coup, cnn, commandos, hideout, intelligence, inter services, isi, nine years, osama bin laden, pakistan army, pakistani president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, qaeda leader