Museum on Indian Cinema to be ready by May 2013: SoniMay 3rd, 2012 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) A museum on Indian cinema, being built in Mumbai, chronicling the history of the industry and its global impact, will be readied by May next year, said Information and Broadcasting minister Ambika Soni Thursday.
“There are a few interesting projects to commemorate the centenary (of Indian cinema). We are planning to open a museum of Indian cinema. The museum will be in Mumbai, in the heritage building of Gulshan Mahal. It will be be ready before May 2013,” Soni said here.
She spoke on the sidelines of the 59th National Film Awards ceremony at the Vigyan Bhawan here.
“In the last 100 years, we have witnessed the vibrancy of Indian cinema — from biographies, romantic films, commercial cinema to art,” she added.
The museum will serve as a window to film aficionados will be a storehouse of information, artefacts, equipments like cameras, editing and recording machines, projectors, costumes, photographs and other material.
The properties, dresses, sets, tapes, vintage equipment, posters, copies of important films, prints, promotional leaflets, developing equipment books, biographies, sound tracks, trailers, transparencies, cinema magazines and statistics covering film distribution are also expected to be displayed in a chronological manner, according to the official Films Division website.
Soni also announced that the National Film Awards ceremony will be held May 3 every year now onwards to commemorate the release date of the first Indian movie “Raja Harishchandra”.
The silent Dadasaheb Phalke-made movie was released May 3, 1913.
- Now, National Film Awards to be held May 3 every year - May 03, 2012
- On Indian cinema's centenary, wax statue to honour Phalke (With Images) - Feb 17, 2012
- First Indian film museum in 2013: Ambika Soni - Sep 09, 2011
- Zoya Akhtar denies making documentary on Indian cinema - Apr 24, 2012
- Website to celebrate 100 years of Indian Cinema - Jul 12, 2012
- Dharmendra to get Phalke Ratna award - Apr 21, 2011
- Hamid Ansari gives away 59th National Film Awards - May 03, 2012
- 'Harishchandrachi Factory' out of Oscar race - Jan 21, 2010
- Special screening of 'Harishchandrachi Factory' at Rashtrapati Bhawan - Dec 30, 2009
- Black attire rules at 57th National Awards ceremony - Oct 22, 2010
- Month-long festival of Indian movies in China - Jun 21, 2010
- Chinese Festival To Showcase Indian Movies - Jun 22, 2010
- Indian cinema to turn 100, celebs applaud its accomplishments - May 02, 2012
- Juhi Chawla misses entry to Oscars - Dec 12, 2009
- Dev Anand, Pran receive Dadasaheb Phalke honour - Apr 30, 2010
Tags: 100 years, ambika soni, awards ceremony, chronological manner, cinema magazines, commercial cinema, equipment books, film distribution, global impact, important films, indian cinema, leaflets, national film awards, raja harishchandra, romantic films, sidelines, sound tracks, storehouse, vigyan bhawan, vintage equipment