Murray to join Federer in Olympic finalAugust 4th, 2012 - 7:22 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Britain’s Andy Murray defeated second seed Novak Djokovic in straight sets Friday to reach the final of the Olympic tennis tournament.
It sets up a tantalizing rematch against Roger Federer, who came out on top in the Wimbledon final just three weeks ago.
The two sets panned out identically, going with serve until Murray broke 6-5 up to win 7-5, 7-5.
Federer scraped into the final courtesy of a marathon win over Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina earlier in the day.
The epic third set of their semifinal lasted for 36 games until Federer converted his second match point for a 3-6, 7-6(5), 19-17 win.
The final is Sunday.
- Olympic tennis: Federer beats del Potro in epic semifinal - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Murray takes gold for Britain at Wimbledon - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- US Open: Murray wins Grand Slam title at last (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Murray first Brit to win Grand Slam singles title (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Roddick to take on Djokovic at Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- Murray first Brit to win Grand Slam men's singles title in 76 years - Sep 11, 2012
- Murray reaches Wimbledon quarters - Jul 03, 2012
- Federer backs Murray to win Oz Open 2011 - Jan 28, 2011
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Murray enters Oz Open finals, to face Djokovic - Jan 28, 2011
- Head-to-head: Djokovic vs. Murray - Sep 10, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: andy murray, argentina, games, juan martin del potro, london, marathon, match point, novak djokovic, olympic tennis tournament, rai, ria novosti, roger federer, snb, straight sets, wimbledon, win 7