Murdoch taking over Asianet with secret agenda: CPI-MSeptember 1st, 2008 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 1 (IANS) Kerala’s ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Monday said media mogul Rupert Murdoch had a secret agenda behind his reported plans to take over the Asianet TV channel.”Please don’t see this takeover as one media organization’s entry into our state. They have a clear-cut agenda. This fear has been raised by at least some who are now working in Asianet,” CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan said while inaugurating a meeting of Non-Gazetted Officers Union here.
Asianet, Kerala’s first TV channel, was launched almost 15 years back. It has seen two major takeovers, the last one when business magnate and Rajya Sabha member Rajeev Chandrasekhar acquired a majority stake in it almost two years back.
There have been media reports saying Murdoch had taken over Chandrasekhar’s stake.
Vijayan said: “This should not be seen as a routine takeover. They want to change our society but the Left is not going to be swept away either.”
- Not a whimper of protest against Murdoch's entry in Kerala (Letter from Kerala) - Oct 14, 2008
- CPI-M jittery as police dig deeper into murder case (Kerala Newsletter) - May 26, 2012
- Sarojini dubs CPI-M 'male dominated party' - Feb 10, 2012
- No problems in alliance, all united: UDF - May 01, 2012
- Achuthanandan will remain opposition leader: CPI-M - Feb 10, 2012
- Murdoch buys Dutch league rights - Aug 08, 2012
- CPI-M will brood over setbacks at 20th congress - Apr 02, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- James Murdoch resigns as News International chairman - Feb 29, 2012
- Congress MP ready to be quizzed by police, CPI-M leaders not keen - Jul 02, 2012
- Achuthanandan, Pinarayi tensions under scanner again (Letter from Kerala) - Oct 27, 2011
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Vijayan denies complaining against Achuthanandan - Aug 13, 2011
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- Achuthanandan seeks Vijayan's removal from CPI-M post - May 20, 2012