Murder witness shot dead in BiharMay 11th, 2009 - 10:40 am ICT by IANS
Patna, May 11 (IANS) The main witness of a murder for which Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) MP Surajbhan Singh was sentenced to life imprisonment was shot dead along with his grandson by unidentified people in Bihar’s Begusarai district, police said Monday.
Nago Singh and his grandson were killed near Barauni in Begusarai, about 126 km from here, late Sunday.
Additional Director General of Police (Headquarters) Neelmani said that police officials have been asked to rush to Begusarai since the incident has sparked tension in the area.
Last year, Surajbhan Singh was convicted and sentenced to a life term for the Jan 16, 1992 murder of Rami Singh, a resident of Mathurpur village. Nago Singh, in his mid 70s, was the prime witness in the case.
Police sources in Begusarai said Nago Singh had received death threats before the pronouncement of judgement in the case in June 2008.
Surajbhan Singh is currently out of prison following the acceptance of his bail petition by the Patna High Court. He faces several criminal charges, including those of murder, extortion, kidnapping and looting.
Last year, he was accused of the murder of additional public prosecutor Ramnaresh Sharma, 55.
After the court rejected the MP’s plea to suspend his conviction in a criminal case and allow him to contest this year’s Lok Sabha elections, he managed to field his wife Veena Devi from Nawada constituency.
- LJP MP booked for murder in Bihar - May 12, 2009
- Over 50,000 criminals convicted in Nitish-era Bihar - Sep 23, 2010
- Bihar takes on crime with high conviction rate - Jun 08, 2010
- Lok Janshakti Party MP Surajbhan questioned in murder case - Apr 08, 2009
- Lawmaker's petition dismissed in Patna - Nov 28, 2008
- Nearly 60,000, including MPs and MLAs, convicted in Bihar in 5 years - Apr 11, 2011
- Godman helps convicted MP to get 'rid of evils' - Mar 02, 2009
- Bihar MP sentenced to life for murder - Jun 25, 2008
- Bihar MP Surajbhan Singh convicted for murder - Jun 24, 2008
- Eight get life term for former Bihar minister's murder (Lead) - Aug 12, 2009
- Bihar has dozens of candidates facing serious criminal charges - Apr 16, 2009
- Four criminal-politicians out of election fray, thanks to courts - Apr 07, 2009
- Kidnapped businessman's skeleton recovered - Aug 24, 2011
- Wives of criminal-turned-politicians trailing in Bihar - May 16, 2009
- Slain Bihar minister's widow seeks death penalty for killers - Aug 13, 2009