Murder convict’s plea against ‘rigorous’ life term dismissedDecember 19th, 2008 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 19 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday dismissed a lawsuit by a murder convict asking if the courts are empowered to make his imprisonment rigorous while jailing him for life.A bench headed by Justice Tarun Chatterjee threw out Balchandra Parmanand Panchal’s petition “in limini”, that is at the admission stage and without assigning any reason to him.
As senior advocate Pandit Parmanand Katara pleaded to the court to admit his client’s plea to answer the legal question raised by him, the bench merely said: “Come with some better case. Raise the question in an appropriate case.”
The contention that a murder convict cannot be sentenced to life imprisonment of rigorous nature had been raised by Panchal, who is undergoing “rigorous life imprisonment” in a jail in Gujarat.
Panchal was convicted along with one of his two sons on charges of murdering their neighbour. The second son, who too faced the trial, was acquitted.
The murder was committed in August 1999. While a Kutch session court sentenced him to rigorous life imprisonment in June 2001, the Gujarat High Court upheld his conviction and sentence in June 2008. Panchal approached the apex court challenging the high court ruling.
Arguing on behalf of his client, Katara argued that the lower courts as well as the high court had erred in awarding rigorous life imprisonment to his client as section 302 of the Indian Penal Code, which provides punishment for murder convicts, does not provide rigorous life imprisonment.
Katara sought to buttress his point by even quoting section 302 of the IPC, which says: “Whoever commits murder shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life and shall also be liable to fine.”
But the bench was not impressed by Katara’s argument.
- Can murder convicts be sentenced to 'rigorous' life imprisonment? - Dec 18, 2008
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Katara murder case: Vikas Yadav withdraws bail plea - Oct 21, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Vikas Yadav allowed by court to attend brother's wedding - Apr 26, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Vikas Yadav gets one day's leave from jail (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Delhi rapist jailed for six years - Jun 12, 2011
- Ex-army officer gets 10 years jail for torturing son - Aug 04, 2012
- No mandatory gallows for killing with illegal arms: Apex court (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012