Murder case against six Uttar Pradesh copsJuly 30th, 2010 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 30 (IANS) A murder case was slapped against six policemen Friday for allegedly torturing a man in their custody to death in Uttar Pradesh’s Chandauli district, authorities said.
Rama Shankar, 32, a resident of Ambdekar Nagar village, about 300 km from here, was picked up by the police Thursday night on charges of assaulting a man.
Shankar, locals alleged, was brutally beaten up by six policemen at the Sakaldeehah police station after which he died late Thursday in the lock-up.
“The criminal case against the six policemen was registered today (Friday) after they were found guilty in the preliminary investigation carried out in connection with the custodial death,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Rakesh Kumar told reporters in Chandauli.
The six policemen, against whom an enquiry has been ordered, are a sub-inspector and five constables.
“Of the six policemen, sub-inspector Mahendra Ram and three constables have also been placed under suspension with immediate effect,” added Kumar.
Meanwhile, agitated over the custodial death, several residents of the Ambedkar Nagar village carried out demonstrations, demanding arrest of the six policemen.
- Suspected custody death: Four cops suspended - Nov 04, 2011
- Case against police station: Five cops suspended - Jun 17, 2011
- Vigilance inquiry against four policemen - Mar 30, 2011
- 3 policemen suspended for NRI chef's custodial death - Jan 25, 2011
- Six UP cops booked for murdering colleague - May 09, 2012
- Autopsy confirms Kashmir youth was tortured - Aug 04, 2011
- Mystery shrouds couple's death in police custody - Jun 08, 2012
- 13 Delhi cops discharged in staged shootout case - May 24, 2012
- Rs.5 lakh solatium for Tamil Nadu women raped by cops - Nov 29, 2011
- Odisha cop killed, four injured in mob attack - Aug 12, 2012
- Two cops injured in attack by villagers - Jan 05, 2011
- Cop crushed to death in Delhi - Feb 28, 2011
- Six cops summoned July 7 over Ramdev crackdown - Jun 11, 2012
- 300 obese Pakistani cops removed from field jobs - Jun 22, 2012
- Maoists kill four Maharashtra cops - Oct 05, 2010