Murder accused arrested after 13 years in ChennaiJanuary 20th, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 20 (IANS) Harooun Ismail, a 35-year-old murder accused who had been on the run since 1996, was arrested at the international airport here while attempting to enter the country Tuesday, police said.Ismail, believed to be a member of the Al Umma terrorist group, had allegedly killed a woman by sending a letter bomb in 1995. Although he was arrested in 1996, he got out of prison on bail and managed to flee the country.
A police official said a red corner notice was issued for Ismail and his passport was cancelled before he was traced to Dubai.
Acting on information that he would be travelling to Chennai via Bangkok, police managed to nab Ismail at the international airport at about 1 a.m.
Ismail was remanded to judicial custody and sent to the high security Puzhal prison.
The letter bomb that killed M.K. Thangamuthu on July 3, 1995 was sent by Ismail to her husband Muthu Krishnan, a Hindu activist.
A few days later, Ismail sent another letter bomb to Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) worker J. Pandiyan but police intercepted the package and began tracing the sender, leading to Ismail’s arrest in 1996.
- Karunanidhi's first son admitted to hospital - Apr 02, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Kanimozhi, Raja, Sharad Kumar in Tihar (Second Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Flurry of email claims confound Delhi blast case - Sep 10, 2011
- AIADMK following vindictive politics, says Karunanidhi - Jun 06, 2012
- Gujarat woman who helped find bombs to be rewarded - Jul 18, 2011
- Spanish plane hijacking report denied - Aug 30, 2012
- Give death to Nitish Katara killers, police tell court - Aug 28, 2012
- No breakthrough in Delhi terror attack a week later - Sep 13, 2011
- Frenchman who asked Rachida Dati for 'an inflation' locked up for 2 days - Oct 30, 2010
- Tamil Nadu to appoint psychologists in prisons - Nov 24, 2011
- Tamil actress held for prostitution - Feb 05, 2012
- 50 Taliban killed in NATO drone strike - Aug 18, 2012
- Rajiv Gandhi assassin Nalini alleges harassment by jail authorities - Jun 13, 2010
- He fled jail only to be caught 15 years later - Dec 15, 2011
- Timeline of the Purulia arms drop case - Jun 30, 2011