Murali gets his 500th ODI wicketJanuary 24th, 2009 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Lahore, Jan 24 (IANS) Sri Lanka off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan was over the moon Saturday after becoming only the second bowler in one-day history to reach the magical 500-wicket mark.Muralitharan, already the world’s leading Test wicket-taker, said that he was happy to collect his 500th wicket in one-dayers in Sri Lanka’s crushing 234-run victory over Pakistan in the ODI series final in front of a packed Gaddafi Stadium.
Muralitharan, 36, bowled just 1.5 overs in the match but finished with 2 for 2 to complete 500 wickets in one-dayers. He scalped tail-enders Rao Iftikhar Anjum and Sohail Khan and is now just three wickets away from breaking former Pakistan fast bowler Wasim Akram’s record of 502 wickets in one-day internationals.
The veteran spinner is already the world’s top wicket-taker in Test cricket with 769 in 125 Tests. He made his one-day debut against India in 1993, and has 10 times taken five wickets in a match in a 323-match career.
- Muralitharan becomes highest ODI wicket taker as India score 332/5 - Feb 05, 2009
- Murali needs 5 to overtake Wasim's 502-wicket haul (Lead) - Jan 23, 2009
- Tendulkar, Muralitharan raise the stakes - Mar 31, 2011
- Muralitharan to retire after World Cup - Jan 21, 2011
- Murali breaks Akram's record of most ODI wickets - Feb 05, 2009
- Murali becomes the leading wicket-taker in ODIs - Feb 05, 2009
- Muralitharan to play crucial role in Sri Lanka's CWG bid - Nov 04, 2011
- Groin injury rules Muralitharan out of World Twenty20 - May 03, 2010
- Muralitharan on verge of creating history (Preview) - Jan 23, 2009
- Zaheer can pip Afridi as leading wicket-taker - Apr 01, 2011
- Muralitharan included in Sri Lankan ODI squad - Oct 03, 2010
- We are all focused on Sri Lanka Tests: Younis - Feb 05, 2009
- Muralitharan to retire after Galle Test against India - Jul 06, 2010
- Injured Muralitharan likely to miss World Cup semi-final against Black Caps - Mar 29, 2011
- Muralitharan racing against time to be fit for semifinal - Mar 28, 2011