Municipality pulled up for delaying Jama Masjid re-developmentJuly 15th, 2008 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday pulled up Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) for not starting the re-development work of the historic Jama Masjid despite all sanctions and budget allocation. A division bench of Justices Mukul Mudgal and Manmohan criticised MCD for not complying with the court’s earlier order of completing the re-development work in 24 months, which ended this May.
The court was hearing a public interest petition by the Heritage and Cultural Forum, an NGO run by Usha Kumar, a lawyer, seeking re-development work at the mosque.
The 17th century mosque has not been declared a protected monument so far, though the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (Intach) and the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) have included it in their respective lists of protected monuments, the petition said.
However, the Waqf Board opposed the petition on the point of declaring the monument a protected one, saying that it would hurt the religious sentiments of those who visit it to offer prayers as the Archaeology Survey of India (ASI) does not allow offering prayers inside a protected monument.
On Oct 6, 2006 the court had approved all plans and the estimated cost for the work.
MCD told the court that it had already sent the proposal to Delhi Urban Arts Commission (DUAC) for approval.
The corporation’s lawyer informed the court that a meeting with DUAC officials was scheduled for Wednesday after which they would move ahead with the work.
The civic agency had launched a website providing all information regarding the re-development plan of the mosque so that the entire process could be transparent and involve the people, he told the court.
However, the court seemed unsatisfied with MCD’s reply and asked DUAC to appear before it and inform it about the project work on Sep 24, the next date of hearing.
- Re-development of Jama Masjid to begin soon, court assured - Sep 07, 2009
- Court clears way for Jama Masjid re-development - Sep 14, 2009
- MCD pulled up for delay in Jama Masjid re-development - Sep 29, 2008
- Historic Jama Masjid a step away from new look - Jun 11, 2009
- Protection of monuments a priority: Delhi CM - Jan 27, 2010
- Begumpuri mosque to serve as new conservation model: Selja - Nov 11, 2011
- Court stays construction of mosque near Jama Masjid - Jul 20, 2012
- Tension defused; controversial mosque site handed over to ASI - Jul 21, 2012
- Rethinking heritage conservation in India (April 18 is World Heritage Day) - Apr 17, 2011
- Ancient Delhi gateways, Mughal library to be restored (With Images) - Jul 05, 2011
- What is World Heritage Day? - Apr 18, 2011
- Ancient Fatehpuri mosque to be restored to old glory (With images) - Jan 28, 2011
- Tension defused; Delhi mosque site handed over to ASI (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Heritage clubs in Delhi schools soon: Dikshit - Aug 06, 2011
- Metro's Qutub Minar line to showcase Delhi's heritage - Aug 13, 2010